Notch code reference

M3.jpg

A
M3.jpg

  • 0
  • 1
  • 78
Guitar Village

A
Guitar Village

  • 5
  • 1
  • 185
Beach Barista

A
Beach Barista

  • 2
  • 2
  • 274
In the Old Town

A
In the Old Town

  • 3
  • 2
  • 267
The Longest Day

H
The Longest Day

  • 0
  • 0
  • 209

Forum statistics

Threads
177,890
Messages
2,442,501
Members
94,346
Latest member
mr_kiwis
Recent bookmarks
0

davet

Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
33
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi folks,

Rummaging around a closet brought to light a film holder (so that's where it went!) loaded with ... yes, well, there's the rub. After downloading a bunch of PDFs from a bunch of different mfrs it turned out to be HP5+, which I don't use often enough to remember, and which got me wondering: is there someplace online where notch codes are tabulated? Kodak does a good job with Kodak films, but understandably does not have Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, Efke, etc. Such a table would also be a nice addition to the "Articles" section here on APUG, at least for the forgetful among us.
 

removed account4

Subscriber
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
29,853
Shooter
Hybrid
hi there

i came across this address a while back, but can't remember how i found it :smile:
i should have left a trail of popcorn or something so i could eventually find my way back to the same spot!

http://www.srv.net/~vail/notch.htm

it may not be totally complete, but it has a lot of the "big 3" ...

-john
 

chrisg

Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
22
So new FP4 is like old HP5. Wonder how many people that screwed up?

I can't point to a central source for notch code info, but I discovered this afternoon that J&C 400 and BPF200 have identical single "V" notches. I'm on my first box of each. The packaging suggests they're made by the same company. Would be nicer if they had unique notches.

Chris
 

JHannon

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
969
Location
Boston, MA
Shooter
Multi Format
There is a bunch of notch codes for both B&W and Color sheet film starting on page 72 in Steve Simmon's book "Using the view camera".
 

wilhelm

Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
91
Location
Houston, TX,
Shooter
4x5 Format
I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem".

Will
 

colrehogan

Member
Joined
May 11, 2004
Messages
2,011
Location
St. Louis, M
Shooter
Large Format Pan
I know that the Maco IR films are very similar in their notches. The difference seems to be the depth of the notches.
 

Paddy

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
341
Location
Vancouver, BC
Shooter
Multi Format
wilhelm said:
I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem". Will

To second JHannon's suggestion, why don't you ask Steve Simmons, since he compiled a bunch of the codes for use in his book. (now slightly out of date)
 

Dave Parker

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,031
Shooter
Multi Format
wilhelm said:
I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem".

Will

I don't see why there would be any problems publishing information that is in the public domain, in fact I would see that it would be a benefit to the people making the film, the other "Using the View Camera" book that was published has alot of notch codes published as well, the name of the author escapes me now, but it is also a good reference.

Dave
 

wilhelm

Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
91
Location
Houston, TX,
Shooter
4x5 Format
Satinsnow said:
I don't see why there would be any problems publishing information that is in the public domain, in fact I would see that it would be a benefit to the people making the film
I certainly agree with you, Dave. Unfortunately, "easily available to the public" and "in the public domain" are two very different things. Kodak, for instance, used to charge for the notch-code document (publication F-3, in case you're interested), and though it's now freely available from their website, I'm still concerned as to whether they consider it copyrighted info. The PDF version does say "© Eastman Kodak Company, 2004".

Heck, I should probably just send 'em an email, and see what they say.

Will
 

JHannon

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
969
Location
Boston, MA
Shooter
Multi Format
Satinsnow said:
the other "Using the View Camera" book that was published has alot of notch codes published as well, the name of the author escapes me now, but it is also a good reference.

Dave

The only other book I can think of is "The view camera, operations and techniques (1977)" by Harvey Shaman. Page 37 has the Kodak codes.
 

Dave Parker

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,031
Shooter
Multi Format
JHannon said:
The only other book I can think of is "The view camera, operations and techniques (1977)" by Harvey Shaman. Page 37 has the Kodak codes.

It is "The View Camera" by Harvey Shaman, New Edition, it was copyrighted in 1991 and has the notch codes on page page 125 and has 36 kodak notch codes...

Dave
 

JHannon

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
969
Location
Boston, MA
Shooter
Multi Format
Satinsnow said:
It is "The View Camera" by Harvey Shaman, New Edition, it was copyrighted in 1991 and has the notch codes on page page 125 and has 36 kodak notch codes...

Dave

Ah! I am stuck in the 70's. I need to update my book collection. :smile:
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom