Nikon-zoom problem

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Blighty, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Blighty

Blighty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fellow Apuggers,
    My Nikon 20~35 f2.8 zoom has developed a problem. Just to familiarise you with this lens; it employs a manual/autofocus button on the lens. Once AF has been selected on the camera body, AF can be engaged/disengaged on the lens as necessary. Whilst using AF, the focus ring rotates freely. Trouble is, after using AF and returning the lens to manual , the focus ring doesn't 'pick-up' the focus gear inside and continues to rotate freely. After turning the focus ring for some time - first one way and then the other - it will eventually re-engage, but it seems to be getting worse and taking longer each time I use it. Curiously, it seems to be more troublesome when it's cold. Any thoughts? Many thanks, B.

2. OP
    OP
    Blighty

Blighty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I just realised I shoud have posted this on the repair, cam mod bit.

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It sounds like a lubrication problem, hopefully, than just a CLA will do the trick.
    As grease (and oil) gets older it becomes more sticky.
    When you put your lens into AF it dis-enganges the connection between the ring and the real focussing mechanism.
    When you put it into MF again it should engage quickly again.

Peter

4. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree, send it to service, it's not a big problem. I had a similar problem with a nikkor zoom but it seems a plastic part was the culprit. Darn plastics! It makes lenses lighter, all right, but they are so annoying...
    :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.