Nikon F5: possible to set minimal shutter speed for A and P modes, (with flash)?

Summer Dreaming

A
Summer Dreaming

It's Winter

A
It's Winter

Cottonwood II

A
Cottonwood II

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

ts1000

Shooter
Multi Format
With Goddox TT350N, is it possible to instruct the F5 to use higher shutter speed than 1/60?
It seems to pick 1/60, but that's too slow. With flash I would like to have at least 1/160, that's why I have flash to allow me to shoot with faster shutter speed.

Certainly, I can use shutter priority, but I would to set minimal shutter speed for A (especially), and for P modes.
Is this possible?

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Try "M"
I don't have the F5, but with the newer AF Nikons, even in "M" [Manual] the exposure is automatically set when the flash is active. Manual lets you set whatever aperture and shutter speed you want to use with the flash and the flash Auto-TTL system takes care of the exposure.

True "Manual" would be if the flash and camera are both set to "Manual."

OP
OP

ts1000

Shooter
Multi Format
@ic-racer when I set it to 'M' and select shutter speed (up to 1/250) and aperture I want -- it shows the severely underexposed bar in the viewfinder.

I am trying to tell the system to increase the flash power, but it is as though, at least using the indicators -- it is telling me it does not know how to do that (or does not want to do that).
I also tried SB-910 flash unit -- seems similar behavior, the F5 just picks 1/60 for the range of apertures I tried.

But when I switch to manual, it is as though it does not understand that I have flash.

Or should I just ignore that exposure bar? It seems that this F5 indicator does not understand that I have a TTL flash.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
@ic-racer when I set it to 'M' and select shutter speed (up to 1/250) and aperture I want -- it shows the severely underexposed bar in the viewfinder.

I am trying to tell the system to increase the flash power, but it is as though, at least using the indicators -- it is telling me it does not know how to do that (or does not want to do that).
I also tried SB-910 flash unit -- seems similar behavior, the F5 just picks 1/60 for the range of apertures I tried.

But when I switch to manual, it is as though it does not understand that I have flash.

Or should I just ignore that exposure bar? It seems that this F5 indicator does not understand that I have a TTL flash.

Yes, the background will be severely under exposed. Those exposure indicator bars are for the background when using flash.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
From the N80 manual; F5 with Nikon flash probably behaves similar.

Standard TTL Flash (Not Balanced) is automatically set when in Manual mode. In Standard TTL Flash...even though the main subject is correctly exposed, the background may not be.
Again, "Manual" lets you manually set the background exposure but the foreground is Automatically set by the flash.

3.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen Prunier

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, the background will be severely under exposed. Those exposure indicator bars are for the background when using flash.

Stated differently, the meter thinks that the shutter speed selected (when in 'M') is insufficient to record a 'proper exposure' with the selected f/stop, when the ambient light is too low...and it KNOWS NOTHING about the fact that flash is being added to the scene.

OP
OP

ts1000

Shooter
Multi Format
thank you all.
So am I correct to summarize for F5 the following:

A) in severely under-lit environment the Nikon F5 with TTL flash (no matter how powerful the flash is) in A,P modes will:

set the shutter to 1/60 and the camera will not be able to adjust the minimal shutter speed with any dials unless switching to 'M' (manual mode)

B) in severely under-lit environment the Nikon F5 with TTL flash in M modes will:

will allow to adjust Aperture and Shutter speed (up to 1/250) -- but the exposure meter will be unaware of the flush, its power/rich. And will continue to show the 'underexposed' bar in the viewfinder.
So the Nikon F5 meter, not knowing about the flash will not be able to tell me if the main subject (not the background) will be correctly exposed

?

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
thank you all.
So am I correct to summarize for F5 the following:

A) in severely under-lit environment the Nikon F5 with TTL flash (no matter how powerful the flash is) in A,P modes will:

set the shutter to 1/60 and the camera will not be able to adjust the minimal shutter speed with any dials unless switching to 'M' (manual mode)

If you do want the camera to balance the flash and background, and the background is dim, you can set "SLOW SYNCH" [page 120] and the camera will give you the required slow shutter speed to correctly expose the background. I believe they make this a separate setting because you will likely need a tripod to use the setting. The speed will go down to 30 seconds if needed.

OP
OP

ts1000

Shooter
Multi Format
Ok, thank you for clarifying that part. Yes, I noticed that when I switch to slow sync, it drops the shutter speed, to the point where my whole 'I need a faster shutter to hand hold' -- loose it is original purpose.

So then my question, if I may, why the F5 would not let me (or automatically) select at least 1/125? Why does it stay at 1/60 and does not want to 'instruct' the flash to increase its power?

Is SB 910 or another TTL flash not able to vary its power based on the camera's instruction? I am just trying to see if there is a way to get out of this '1/60 jail' so to speak.

• Sigint
  • Deleted
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom