Nikon F 3000 $

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Photographerfromsud, Feb 20, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Photographerfromsud

Photographerfromsud Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks it is really helpful but I see in your link the price as 2330$ without lens and original finder.Where is 700$?

2. bernard_L

bernard_L Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look at the auction photos using the magnifier; Amateurish black paint job. Not what is expected in a $3000 collectible.

3. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Exactly, 2330$ as opposed to 3000$. OK, make it 630$ less expensive, if you include the shipping.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The red dot in the first ebay offer indeed looks different from that at the second or at Mir Photography.

5. Tala2018

Tala2018 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many of this black cameras are brassed, I would pay the guy 30000$ if he could paint it and brassed it in this way.Anyway the authenticity of the camera is already confirmed as its serial number is updated in this page: http://www.matthewlin.com/mynikon/RedDot/RedDot.htm

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

is it rare enough for you to pay $3,000? Well, as i said before, it is worth $3,000 if you pay that much. If there are only 100 of them, then that guarantees it is worth $3,000 IF YOU PAY THAT MUCH.

Sales set the value. Of course, the next sale, by you, or someone, might be for a lot less. How man folks on the planet want one of these?

No way to know. You seem to be talking yourself into buying this one. As many here have already said -- there's no way to know if this price is fair or not. You must decide if the camera is worth that much to you.

Good luck.

7. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is no way to rationalize the behavior of a collector, no matter what the collectible is...cameras, stamps, binoculars, guns, beer cans, (passed a swanky antique store in Manhattan the other day, apparently also a collectors market for 1950s spiked heels women’s shoes). Collectors are collectors. The upside is that collections often end up in museums. If the OP as a collector wants a black Nikon with a red dot, so be it.

8. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, yeah, exactly. As I said, sales set the value -- and in a very small sample set, even one sale sets the value until the next sale. Auctions of Picasso painting are the same.

9. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Last time I saw a Nikon F with a 1.4 lens, it was in a "trinkets/junk shop" for $20. No, it wasn't a magical "red dot with a lucky serial number" model, but so what?

10. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did you snagged it? : /

11. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Here's another (better?) example which sold for less than half the price back in January:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122902590719

I do not "invest" in such things: I'll stick to boring stuff like S&P 500 index funds.

12. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Prices for cameras like this are pretty volatile. I'd steer clear of anything with a few hundred percent fluctuation from an investment perspective. If you want it because you'd love to put the thing on show and never sell it, that's a different matter. There won't be many around in great condition, the question is how many people care enough to give you your money back or more?

As a useable camera it's a bad idea, black paint scuffs straight away. As a collectable it depends whether film survives as a medium. State of the art gramophones and cutting edge floppy disc computers don't attract big ticket prices because they're historically irrelevant outside a museum. It's always possible film could go the same way.

13. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (emphasis added on the word less )

$3000 less minus $2330 = $670 , at least when I went to school .
    At these prices , I would also call this $700 less .

And at least $2000 more that I would even consider paying .

@ the O.P;
    As far as how much it is worth , it's up to you how much it's worth .
    If you think it's worth $3000 , go for it !

If you can't find any recorded sales either from private sales via autions or trade sales in a camera shop then you can't answer what the "going rate" is i.e market value .
    So it's all up to you .

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There'a more things to look at than a serial number with a camera being offered at this price .
    As there is a list of serial numbers for reference it would be silly for a forger not to look at it and use one of those numbers .
    For the record , I'm not saying this camera or the seller isn't genuine , just be cautious .

There's a lot more than one Russian Leica with "genuine" serial numbers !
    I have one I got from an honest dealer , and it was clearly sold as a Leica copy FED ( or Zorki ) .

16. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is a 40usd shipping fee.
    It's all in the past now because the seller dropped the price to 2750.

17. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the price has the decimal point in the wrong place:angel:

18. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    it's got the special code word in the ad for those in the know--worth every penny as the camera will be shipped with the cocaine you're buying.

19. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Out of interest , does the camera have any form of provenance ?
    The old original receipt or paperwork from service work in the past including serial number ?
    This would go a long way as to show it as the genuine article .

Value is of course just a matter of how much someone is willing to pay , and how much they want something .
    I've paid over the odds in the past for something I wanted because it was an item that very rarely comes along .
    I knew I over paid the market value , but that was what it was worth to me , at that time .

I presume it's your camera up for sale ?
    Maybe someone agrees it's worth that and you sell it , or maybe when the price comes down to $1000 some one buys it .

20. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It always seems strange to me when ebay sellers keep changing their user i.d's .......
    The seller of this extreamly expensive camera joined up on ebay on this account in October last year , and now on their third user i.d already .
    Only 4 seller feedback .......sure , everyones got to start somewhere , but , you know ......just saying .......

And if photrio member Tala2018 is ebay member talakoub ( the camera seller before changing his i.d again , this time to montreal.classic.camera ) both the Ebay i'd was changed this morning along with deleating the last post he made that I quoted in my above post where I asked if the camera had any provenance .

Or was it removed ?:whistling:

21. Tala2018

Tala2018 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, yes I am the seller and I saw this forum while searching for this camera, sorry but I am really shocked with the level of Paranoia of some members in this forum,(from painting to forgery and making a red dot...oh my god.) First of all I am an artist with a bachelors degree in photography and another degree in art history, but I cannot earn my life only by selling my artwork, so I worked in a camera store for a while and then started a company 5 month ago to finance my art project, I buy and sell cameras online mainly midrange cameras like Canon ae-1, Nikon fm, Pentax..but when I find good cameras I sell them on eBay.No need to be so paraoniac, especially on eBay, every time I sell I receive my money a week after buyer receive it, there is money garantee and 2 weeks return policy on eBay.So don't worry about the potential buyer, they have usually enough knowledge when they collectible cameras.

22. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Being cautious is not paranoid when it comes to buying on ebay .
    Not being cautious is just asking to be ripped off .
    There are a lot of dishonest sellers on ebay selling fake goods , mis-labled goods , mis-discribed goods etc
    For eg ; "slight cleaning marks on lens " means it's scratched to hell , maybe cleaned with an angle grinder .
    "One carefull owner" means the other 5 owners weren't carefull and is scrap !
    "Petzval lens" means it's an old brass lens that's not in good condition , and probably doesn't have the same lens design as a Petzval design .
    "Rare" means they couldn't be bothered doing a proper search .
    There are plenty of fake goods on there and some made to look like genuine items , some times the forgery is done well , other times it's a poor imitation that's easy to spot .

The fake Leica III cameras are FED with the Russian stamping pressed out and the Leica details stamped in .
    The way to check if the item is genuine is to remove the top and bottom plates as the original stamping can still be seen on the backside .
    It might not be clear what it says , but it would be clear it's been altered ( faked ).
    A serial number that's been changed on such as a Nikon would likely have been done the same way .

Regarding buyer protection , 1st you have to prove you were sold a fake .
    Then you have to claim money back by Paypal .
    Only new sellers have to wait for payment , if the goods are sent by a slower method , international for eg , the transaction might have already gone through before the goods arrive .
    By which point a dishonest seller could have claimed the money out of that PayPal account and moved it elsewhere via the dummy bank account that is on their ebay details .

So sure the buyer should be able to get their money back , but the fraudster would get away with the money .
    That isn't something I like to see happen .

Anyone that thinks or claimes that ebay is a safe with no risk , and a place full of nothing but honest traders is a fool !

I'm sure there are also many buyers out there on ebay who are also just out to scam the honest traders , so if you are naive enough to believe ebay is such a safe place to trade , and risk free , I would advise you to be carefull .

I make no inferance or allegations by writing this about anyone at all on ebay , each person needs to satisfy themselves that it is a good transaction to make .
    I have an ebay feedback of over 3000 , all positive . I've had a few issues with some sellers though and left them negative feedback to warn others .
    If something seems odd , a buyer doesn't have to buy and a seller doesn't have to sell . Go with your gut .
    As they say , buyer beware !

23. Chuckwade87

Chuckwade87 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ran into a guy with a Nikon F with a 50 1.4, cheap fisheye and the leather case. He wanted $700. Told him no thanks

24. Chuckwade87

Chuckwade87 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    And it wasn't even a black F