New Slide Projector to 4 x 5 inch Films

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by trendland, Nov 15, 2017.

1. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The german based engineer " Willi Jensen " is developing a " NEW SLIDE MACHINE " to 4 x5. What do you mean - it is a smal niche - of cause it is - but is it also nice ?

If I just could imagine the slide mounts to 4 x 5 inch ? Sure they are with one side on glass - probably with two glasses.

The max. I own is Gepe 85mm x 85mm to 6 x7 Slides !

Is it a great coup from your point of viewing ?

with regards

PS : If the slide mounts will be avaible I sure will buy one package of them - just to have it. Probably I could mount some slides from my 4 x 5 Ektachrome.

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    It probably costs as much as a second-hand family car.

3. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well "benjiboy" it will cost more :wink:......

with regards

PS : I hope I can afford one package of the slide mounts to it in 4 x 5 inch. I definitifly hope so...... but I also know : MORE I CAN´T AFFORD FOR SURE :whistling:.....

4. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is already a company which makes professional large format slide projectors. That new proposed slide projector only makes sense, if it stays in the price range of passionate amateurs (i.e. at most a few thousand Euros), sort of like the entry level ProCabin slide projectors made by Mamiya for 6x7 slides.

5. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice stuff - thank you for this link Rudeofus. Well I just quite remember this
    "Pani" projection systems from a couple of jobs far behind. They were used (and sure many are still working with this today) to create lighting effects in different scenes.With the use of special masks out of metal.Because they reached temperatures every material others than metal will burn after some minutes.
    The use of transparancies like slide film is a complete new issue to me.
    Comming back to affaires caused from highest temperatures.
    The "new" technical approach of Willi Jensen is the use of LED light.
    LED lighting is a special theme - by the time.Many say it is to much artificial.
    Also accurate kelvin temperature is a problem (not even 2 LEDs of the same type are identical 100%)
    But from the intention of Jensen it makes much sense in regard of temperature (heating).
    In addition you may operate such system
    with batterie power - thats indeed complete new.
    The pricing ???? Yeah - thats the question of interest - to me it seams to be to expensive I can say for sure - before the first prototype is allready finished:sad::sad::sad:.....

with regards

6. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Couldn't a horizontal 4x5 enlarger be used as such?

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and no....

Most enlargers are designed optics-wise (condensor) for shorter distance focal planes, however those horizontal ones are designed to cope with distances of some meters.

But the sturdy built of such enlarger would be too much for home projection.
    For projection in halls there had been respective projectors and for distant, outdoor use there are those from Pani.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jensen too is no newbie to slide projector manufacture.

9. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sure but 4 x 5 inch is new from Jensen.

The 6 x 7 monsters are legendary - you are absolute right !

with regards

10. OP
    OP
    trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess Jensen is still working on 4 x 5 with single projection mode.
    If he is able to design a magazine and made a automatic machine it isn't practical to do this in regard you refers.

with friendly greetings to you

11. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Slide projector need brighter light source than an enlarger. I do think the enlarger project a sharper image than a typical slide projector. Of course I have no 4x5 projector but comparing a 35mm slide projected by an enlarger and one projected by the projector the one by enlarger is sharper.

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The better lenses for projection and enlarging are the same in their basic structure, double-Gauss designs. Major difference is that they are designed for different scales.

13. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...reverse the lens and increase light intensity.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How would that work? Twisting a lens will yield better image quality from the moment the scales are reversing. But that would not effect image brightness (letting aside respective condensor adjustments).

If you refer to outer lens diameter, than the smaller diameter is typically directed to the light source. If a condenser brings all the light he receives through that small outer element into the lens, than twisting the lens and offereing the condensor the wider lens element would not yield higher screen luminance.

15. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AgX, I edited my post to make it read more clearly.

What I'm suggesting is; 1. reverse the enlarging lens, 2. use a brighter light source.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.