New QTR Digital Negative Tools

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by Richard Boutwell, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    For anyone who has tried to make their own QTR curves for digital negatives, either from scratch or trying to dial in one using a starter curve, you'll know that it can be a headache. I had all those headaches too, and probably tried every method out there.

So, I set out to come up with my own method. It started a few years ago when I came up with my own linearization formulas that I could use for different print and negative workflows. Then I recently came up with a way of adjusting a set of "starter curves" that are flexible enough for different processes that need varying degrees UV blocking density.

This new method uses an Excel Macro Enabled Workbook for all the "code" and custom formulas so it is Windows and macOS compatible (it just needs Excel 2011 or newer). As far as the printing goes, one step is for finding the blocking density using a special .quad curve I created, and one step for printing and linearizing with a 21-step target. From there you are off to the test prints. This is seriously the most accurate and easiest QTR digital negative method for UCK3 inks there is. I've taught two workshops with this new method in the last few weeks, and in both cases we had really really good test prints on the third sheet of paper. In the case yesterday we were able to profile an epson 9900 and a 2400 for two different papers in less than 6 hours—including all printing/coating/processing/measuring.

You can read more about it here: http://www.bwmastery.com/quadtoneprofiler-digital-negatives

2. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought this last week and I have to agree with Richard, it’s the easiest and most consistent method I’ve used so far. I had perfect QTR negs for three papers within hours. There was one hiccup, that turned out to be my fault, but Richard was there within minutes answering questions and trying to solve it.

3. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone share their experience using this tool to make carbon transfers?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.