New Instax Wide camera: MiNT Instantkon RF70

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by grimp0teuthis, Feb 9, 2018.

1. grimp0teuthis

grimp0teuthis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For years now I am hoping for a better, more sophisticated camera for Instax Wide film. Looks like this could be the right direction.......

By the way, here you can see the prototype of this MINT RF70 "in action":
    The Analogue Photography Series: Film is Still Alive

Best regards,
    Henning

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks just like a GF670. That would be astonishing if it had a similar lens. No portable instant camera has ever had glass with that level of quality.

4. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Fuji Fotorama FP-1 has had a very good glass lens.

Best regards,
    Henning

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I almost bought one of those several years ago. I'm glad I didnt because Fujifilm, in their infinite wisdom, discontinued all pack film.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of these cameras was designed (by coincidence) to expose Instax Mini....(it also is made of metal, has seven interchangeable focus cams, a Graflok back and cost LESS than the other)
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 1.47.51 PM.png

8. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So one of these will cost an arm, leg and first born son. If no son, no dice.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that the 2x3" or 6x9cm or "Baby" technical cameras are currently at their lowest price point on the used market. They are way to difficult to operate for a 'hipster' film user and can't focus short lenses, making them useless to the 'sensor/image capture' crowd.

10. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's been plenty of cameras that can shoot instant with an as-good-as or better lens than the GF670. Anything that could take a polaroid back for example (multiple options from Mamiya, to name one...)

11. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If anything, Fuji should just release an instanx-wide back, that could fit like a Polaroid 405 back does to anything that takes graflok.

12. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fujifilm had to discontinue pack film. Because the demand for this film type completely crashed several years ago.
    The pack film market was a professional film market. With only two main customer groups:
    1. Professional photograhers who used pack film in the studio for checks of arrangements and lighting. This demand stopped conpletely already over a decade ago, because digital replaced pack film for that purpose.
    2. Professional photographers who used pack film for pass port and identity card photos. This market crashed a bit later, first in the industrialised countries, then in the developing countries. Also because of digital imaging replacing pack film.

The demand from amateurs / enthusiasts using pack film has always been tiny and negligible compared to the demand from professionals. And even that tiny demand further declined in the last years. With such a negligible demand it is impossible to keep such a complex and sophisticated production like pack film running.
    It is a little miracle that Fujifilm kept on offering for so long despite the crashed demand. Kudos for that.
    I am thankful that I've had (and still have, there is still film stock available) the opportunity to use these films for so long.
    For comparison: Polaroid stopped their pack film production before 2008.

Best regards,
    Henning

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If no demand for the pack film, why does it sell so well?
    Fuji stopped making it because Fuji wants to force photographers into the Instax market.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to see your reference for that or did you make it up?

16. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    YES,YES,YES! I'm going to try taping a individual sheet of Instax film into 4x5 film holder. Then figure out a way to run it through an old set of Polaroid rollers. Need to get a changing bag :smile: MiNT should adapt old MF polaroid backs. I have donor RZ and Bronica backs ready for conversion.

17. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suspect that the need for production of highly profitable Instax displaced the messy non-ECO friendly pack film. Hellva shame!! I still miss Polaroid 669 that stuff was beautiful. I had a Polaroid Big Shot Portrait camera and a bag of Magicubes, what an amazing film.

18. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not impressed at all with Fujifilm and now shoot far less of their film because of their lack of commitment to film. I believed their claptrap. As The Who said long ago: Won't Get Fooled Again.

19. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It did not sell well, not at all!
    Demand has crashed because of the reasons I explained above (I've been involved in market analysis of the photo markets for quite a long time now. I know the numbers).
    That is also the reason why Polaroid stopped their production already about a decade ago, and axed pack film before axing integral film.

And, by the way, when New55 stopped their instant pack film project they also said very clearly that they had almost no support from amateurs / enthusiasts.

There are also some assessments in the industry that Fujifilm had to stop production because of environmental regulations and soon banned substances / raw materials. But so far there is no 100% proof / confirmation for that.

Definitely not.
    Fujifilm has double digit demand increases with Instax for years. In their last fiscal year they sold about 6.5 million Instax cameras. In their current fiscal year they probably sell about 7.5 million Instax cameras. The total number of current Instax users worldwide is in the 25 - 30 million users range.
    Wether a tiny amount of several thousand (potential) additional users (former pack film users) is using Instax or not.....well, it absolutely makes no difference for them.

Best regards,
    Henning

20. Richard Man

Richard Man Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's almost tragic that Fujifilm gets such a bad rep among some film users. "Fool me once, blah blah blah." If enough people buy the damned things, they will make them. It's no rocket science.

21. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OMFG yes.

I've done it but had problems with proper coating. But you'll need a changing bag, a 545 back, and a file folder. Cut the file folder to fit in the holder the put the exposed film in the folder and process it just like you would have Type 55. I have photos of how I did this. I've been meanign to write an article for www.Returntofilm.com about this. I guess with all the interest I'll put a rush on it.

Or you can just buy a cheap Instax Mini body to process it as you'll get the best results.

22. maximumPhoto

maximumPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I felt the same for a while, but then when you look at when the last production runs of FP-3000B and 100C were, which were limited runs, there is still available stock years later. It really doesn't sell well, it would have ran out completely by now if it did. Though yes Instax did have a lot to do with it.

23. maximumPhoto

maximumPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't say the shots I have seen from this RF70 are better than what I am getting off of an Instax Wide 300 with Mamiya press lenses. At $730+ I am really disappointed. The camera looks damn sexy though!

24. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For $730, nope. You're right. The quality didn't attracted me. I know the film can produce better shots that the existing Wide body lenses can produce, but but I don't see paying over $300-400 for anything like this quality.

25. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    new55.jpg

26. vdonovan

vdonovan Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    Your statement here matches my own understanding of the market, what I learned in talking to the Fujifilm rep, and various others involved in trying to save pack film. Florian "Impossible Project" Kaps himself said that the market was just too small. He estimated sales to be less than a million units per year. Even at a wholesale price of about $10/unit (it used to be $5), there would be barely enough revenue to pay for the raw materials and the electricity to operate the machines.