New Ihagee Elbaflex

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by farmersteve, Nov 10, 2017.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have come across some battered SLR, but still not one with a broken plastic top or bottom.

2. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't question the solidity of a plastic top, but I like brass because it has a more vintage and luxurious feel. I was very disappointed when I found out that my Pentax ME Super had plastic beneath the chrome.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pentacon introduced these chromed plastic tops with the Praktica L. It took some years for the japanese manufacturers to follow.

I get your point now. But concerning the feel, I myself have difficulties distinguishuing between brass and metallized plastic tops by touching.

4. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    'Feel' is meant metaphorical here :smile:

The homepage on the web-site is updated showing more from the camera.
    The grip has no visible screw by which it can be (could be) removed.
    The paint is very raw.
    On the front a Nikkor-S lens, weird.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What reminds me of an old ad for diamonds (De Beers?): "To know it is a Diamond"

6. Mistral75

Mistral75 Member

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Nikkor-S (Septa) lenses had 7 elements.

Nikkor-T (tri) had 3 elements, Nikkor-Q (quad) has 4 elements, Nikkor-P (penta) had 5 elements, Nikkor-H (hexa) had 6 elements and so on.

The Kickstarter link: Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Attached Files:

7. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    They are giving us a virtually unchanged Kiev 19M with a slapped on wooden grip and a new name, and proposing a retail price of $1500 ?
    That confirms the Nikon F6 is unbeatable by a wide margin, as stated by me in the Reflex thread.

8. oreston

oreston Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The lowest Kickstarter price for the body only is $499 (for 24 hrs. only). The eventual retail price is apparently going to be $1,500! The spiel on the Kickstarter page goes on about Johan Steenbergen, Ihagee Dresden and the "original" Elbaflex (which was actually the Exakta Varex) as if they have some tangible connection with this reborn Kiev 19M beyond the appropriation of an old trade name. Strangely there's little mention of the camera's true provenance. Absolutely unconscionable.

For $499 (let alone $1,500) you could buy just about any classic manual focus Nikon in perfect condition. Any of them would have a better spec sheet than this thing. I like the idea of somebody making a new film camera, I really do, but this is just a cynical exercise in fleecing the ignorant.

9. Mistral75

Mistral75 Member

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Prices are outrageous, like always with Meyer-Optik Görlitz and their bunch:

- 24h offer $499
    - Super Early Bird $529 (50 units)
    - Early Bird $549 (75 units)
    - Super Deal $599 (100 units),
    - bundled with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Trioplan 50mm: $1,299 (50 units)
    - bundled with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Lydith 30mm f/3.5: $1,399 (50 units)
    - bundled with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primotar (Tessar) 50mm f/2.8: $1,499 (50 units).

- forecast RRP (body only): $1,499.

The Kickstarter campaign is only a marketing tool: the financing goal is set at $50,000.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be fair... If you look long, very long at the prism housing there is a moulding difference to the 19M versions I found so far.

11. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This also proves the Reflex guys are totally wrong with their cost estimation.

12. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Reflex Kickstarter is at least trying some new ideas.

This thing... I don't get it. There's absolutely nothing new. Just get a Nikkormat for £20. For the retail price they're asking I could buy several FM3As! They're out of their trees.

13. cramej

cramej Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera will be available with a choice of four distinct leather colors...

But not only the camera can be colorful, of course more important is the color of the images taken - but see for yourself.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

That's possibly the most BS statement about a camera I've ever read!!! They're off their bloody rockers on this thing - just hoping to make a quick buck off of some really gullible 'analog enthusiasts'!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can't blame Ihagee doing an honest calculation of the cost vs. an estimation how many camera's they will sell. These prices are simply a reflection of the harsh reality. It is still amazing though they expect to sell enough camera's without loosing money.

Ihagee is also hinting on their home page that this is only the first camera they will make. So I guess part of the equation is also establishing a name and perhaps to discourage other projects in an early stage.

16. cramej

cramej Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The more I read about the project, the more I feel like it's a sham.

No, you can blame them. The harsh reality is that they have a limited supply of NOS 19m's they're modifying and reselling as ELBAFLEX and want to make as much money as possible on some old parts they bought for cheap.

They'd probably make more money just coming out and saying it's a modified NOS 19m and sell them for a truly reasonable price - not 'Leica reasonable'. It figures that they're former Leica and Schneider people thinking that $1500 is affordable to most people.

This kind of stuff really irritates me in that they want you to believe it's something new and great and they're 'getting back to basics' for photography. I used to be in the graphic design industry and the marketing drivel that attempts to make faults into features is so blasted stupid. In reality, the heart of the camera is a low-spec, 1980's camera from the Ukraine that is somehow now premium. The whole concept could be really great if they didn't try to put it behind this veil of analog mystique and were open about the origins.

17. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Way too expensive for a Kiev 19M reissue (or NOS).

18. oreston

oreston Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "Ihagee" (...it doesn't really seem right to refer to them by that name, but never mind) are "only" looking to raise $50,000 on Kickstarter. I think that lends further credence to the notion that they might simply be pimping NOS Kiev 19m's. This might only be a production run of a few hundred cameras and therefore they may only need to find a few hundred idiots to buy them.

19. OP
    OP
    farmersteve

farmersteve Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    $1500 for a crappy SLR that looks like something from about 1970? Why don't I just buy a used Nikon FM3A for about half that? I think this will fall flat on it's face after the initial Kickstarter. I give Reflex a better chance at succeeding that this POS.

20. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think so.

My estimation is that Reflex will crash early next year because of technical and financial problems. Moreover, it seems most team members already have a job so they are doing this in their spare time and they will run out of time getting this done.
    My impression is also that they have limited knowledge of camera technology because they must be corrected by users in the Comments section on elementary points.
    They also have no factory (clean-room), no tools, no testing and calibration equipment, they must train personnel etc. etc,

On the other hand, Ihagee (or whatever name you use) seems to have their organization already in place; for example they know they need, or already have, 22 production workers in their factory in Ukraine. They also have a working camera so no problems there either.

Currently, after 1/2 day, Ihagee has already reached half the amount of the $50.000 goal (with 28 backers for the body, 18 hours to go).

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i heard there is a little bird inside every camera with a stone a chisel and hammer just like on the flintstones ...
    they only have a limited supply of birds so the 50K is to continually breed more of them. and they have
    to train them to speak in a variety of different languages so if you peek inside the camera you
    hear them remark " it's a living" or " i shouldn't have quit my day job" in a variety of different languages.
    http://www.polaroidland.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-shot-2012-02-03-at-12.35.21-PM.png
    there was a kickstarter a year or 2 ago for a vacuum cleaner that was a small hybridized wooly mammoth,
    maybe it was a "pigmy wooly mammoth" ? and it did the same thing.
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01728/elehoover_1728746a.gif
    and a year or 2 before that , it was a photograph
    that played grooved slate records and the tone arm was a bird with a long beak ..
    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/12/31/a6/1231a6aea2146107e856c390ea72e3ed.jpg
    i heard their workshop is in a structure built by antonio gaudi, that looks like casa mila
    http://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...ona-casa-mila-01-samuel-ludwig.jpg?1367255048
    they seem to be on a roll !

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  22. Mistral75

Mistral75 Member

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Behind the Ihagee resurrection there are the same persons (the German, listed 'net SE' group and its CEO Dr Stefan Immes) as those behind the resurrection of the Meyer-Optik Görlitz and Oprema Jena brands and behind the Emil Busch Glaukar Anastigmat lens. Many of their projects were funded, and above all marketed, on crowd-funding platforms such as Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

So yes, they perfectly know what they are doing.

23. OP
    OP
    farmersteve

farmersteve Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That just tells me that the true cost to make the Ihagee is a fraction of the $1500 they will be charging since they are just resurrecting an old camera design. Hopefully they can put some resources into upgrades, especially the shutter

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually there is not even officially such firm.

25. Mistral75

Mistral75 Member

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Which such firm? Do you mean Ihagee GmbH? Because the net SE group definitely exists:

http://www.netag.de/

They wrote the following in the Campaign section of the Kickstarter project:

The max. shutter speed and the flash synch speed have remained the same as those of the Kiev 19M though.

26. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Officially there is no Ihagee GmbH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.