New Epson R-D2?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by farmersteve, Dec 11, 2017.

1. farmersteve

farmersteve Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very speculative, but it looks like Mike Johnston might have an inside track to some gossip about a possible new Epson R-D2 or something very similar from another manufacturer. I always wanted one of these and can't afford the veblem Leica digital cameras.

This pretty much exists, but only pretty much. It also existed at one time, in the Epson R-D1. I still can't share what I know about why, but suffice it to say that despite decent popularity the R-D1 was orphaned, deliberately, back in 2007. But by now the world has changed, and the conditions that killed the R-D1 are no longer pertinent, and it's not too late to bring out a modern R-D2 (or near clone along those lines built by someone other than Cosina) now. Some people want that. Can't risk saying too much here.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/12/more-imaginary-cameras.html

2. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe he's referring to the long-promised Konost. I can't imagine it would be easy for any manufacturer who is not already experienced or tooled-up for camera building to get into the game at this time. Cosina remains the most logical candidate, but they reportedly have an innate anti-digital bias.

3. BrianVS

BrianVS Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Konost has not updated their website from a year ago, at that time thought the camera would be out by the end of 2017.

http://konost.com/preorder/

No pre-order yet. They did state the switch to a custom CMOS sensor, a good move- the original was terrible for off-axis light.

4. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Konost has nothing to do with rangefinder. It is faking it and only on next to dead project by bunch of the students in marketing page. If something even close to R-D2 will exists, RFF will be all over it.

5. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I'd love for Sony to modernize the Hexar. I believe Konica had at least a prototype of a digital Hexar RF. There is money to be had there too. People would love a $3000 brand new RF instead of having to deal with all of Leica's problems with their cameras after a few years. I imagine at this point it would be nearly impossible to find a used Leica that hasn't seen a Leica repair facility at least once.

6. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sadly, the future is with phones, not cameras. Hard to envision a rangefinder phone :smile:

7. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The price R-D1 rangefinders sell for today suggests old technology is no barrier if the overall package adds up. Put a 24 mp sensor in one and they'd fly off the shelves.