New Beseler LED Light source

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by mshchem, Nov 6, 2018.

1. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used my old Dichro 45S for over 30 years and I had replace the optoisolator on it. But it still works. I'm surprised that it's LED and they're still using dichroic filters instead of using PWM technology and RGB LEDs?

3. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    1) But it is great that they are actually advertising an ENLARGER in a place where the ads are aimed at the general public.

2) using the same sort of filters means that they don't have to use a lot of computer power to emulate the effect of the filters buy futzing with leds. they can jsut have the effect of real filters.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And they already have all the design work in place with respect to the dichroic filter system, along with mundane things like the housing.
    If you click on the product description, it makes it clear that the LED source permits doing away with the cooling fan - a clear but simple advantage.
    I wonder how the colour/black and white switch on the power supply functions?

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting! Dealer availability? Price? :smile:

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suspect it's additive like the loved/hated Universal 45. Could be that switching to B+W uses only Blue and Green channels. I'm curious who is making this unit. Beseler doesn't (or didn't ) have any engineering, the enlargers are part of a much bigger company. Looks like it's aimed at education, so it will probably cost 4 grand.
    I talked to KHB Photografix today, Kevin was surprised at the news. I found out when I was Googling for some parts

It will still use CMY dials but I suspect it's RGB leds, maybe it actually has dichro filters and white leds? ??

8. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also in the Times Square display, the photo shows the upper bellows extended???

10. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I called Beseler today. They expect the product to be available very soon. Sounds like a very elegant straight forward design. Three dials CMY, white light for black and white. If you want VC you dial in appropriate yellow and/or magenta. It does have dichro filters and a standard all in one 4x5 mixing chamber. Just like all the other heads you remove the entire condenser assy. and lock on this head. I didn't inquire about price. Stabilized power supply external. The illuminated dials dim when you turn out the room lights. Sounds like a great tool for educational purposes.
    Jobo is making processors, Beseler is making new colorheads, Great! !

11. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it really as big as it looks? It looks gigantic.

12. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    4 by 5 is a LOT bigger than 35mm :smile:

13. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for doing some digging! The old Dichro 45S has a 250 watt EVW bulb that required a fan. I'm sure the new LED heads will be very nice. I saw an old Dichro 45S head for parts that's over $1000.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beseler-82...h=item33e71b06d3:g:r0wAAOSwslRazvly:rk:5:pf:0

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got this from Beseler today. It sounds like people that have seen it are quite excited. I didn't ask pricing etc. It looks like it's going to be well received. I think it's great news.

DICHRO 45SL SPECIFICATIONS Line Voltage: Model #8278L 120V ±5%, 60Hz Electronics: Internally stabilized, solid state Lamp: 3 Lamps, LED Array, Factory Replace Only (5 Year Warranty on LED Lamps) Type of Filtration: Dichroic Interference Filters Filtration: Yellow, Magenta, Cyan Auxiliary Filtration: None Blower: None Mixing Chambers: Standard 4x5 (Included) Dimensions: Head – 17”W x 14”H x 13”D Power Supply – 7”W x 4”H x 10”D Weight: Head – 17.25 pounds Power Supply – 5.8 pounds Shipping Dimensions: Head – 20.5”W x 19”H x 16.5”D Power Supply – 11”W x 6”H x 13”D Shipping Weight: Head – 21.5 pounds Power Supply – 6.5 pounds

16. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    apparently it is gigantic! Doesn't need to be though. Witness the Minolta Beseler 45A head (which I love, I know, I sound like a fanboy but it really is an excellent piece of gear), which is only about 3-4" high, and probably well under 10lbs, likely has a better analyzer and way more functionality, is additive (better than subtractive filtration) and is < $200 on ebay (was about $2600 new in the 2000s).

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Only the 45A is small others color 4x5 heads are the same size. It's the same size as the old 45S and the computerized 45 with digital display.

18. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yep, it's a bit narrower and a few inches taller

19. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What I like. It's for analog photography. And the user interface is about as analog as it gets!

The Beseler / Minolta thing was supposed to be the greatest thing ever. I have one I got for free, it works. But it's physically painful for me to contemplate using such a device.

I'm really looking forward to see these hit the market .

Also Beseler has a beautiful new timer that would be perfect for this. Again you don't need to be able to land an A320 on the Hudson River to figure it out :smile:

Best Regards Mike

20. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Beseler/Minolta 45A *IS* the greatest thing ever! ;-) I have at least 5 or 6 of them (gotta have spares) and some spare tubes. Once used to it, all other color heads seem weak and under-featured in comparison.

21. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And for ring around prints none better . I have 4 or 5 Beseler Universal with color and VC controllers. I tell myself I should try my 45A ,but if I love it what would I do with everything else :D
    God I love this stuff! !

22. 1kgcoffee

1kgcoffee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I could never figure out how to do the ring arounds with the 45a. Also the issue of overheating and no new flashtubes being made. It was flawed by design as the proprietor of former colorBAT explained to me.

I am very glad to hear about this, and would consider purchasing at the right price, but when RGB bulbs can be used with the condensor head, it would be a hard sell. I am shocked in a good way that they have enough life in them to make a go at a new enlarger head.

23. OP
    OP
    mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Beseler still has institutional buyers. Most government state, federal institutions don't routinely allow purchase of used equipment, for a lot of obvious reasons. There's a resurgence of interest in analog photography at all levels in education. For a lot of good reasons, one being get off your damn phone :D.

I'm not kidding, the other day, I'm reading a magazine, had trouble seeing a printed picture, I went to "squeeze and spread" to zoom in:laugh:. Too much iPad! ,

I think it's going to be a hit with college crowd. The instructor won't be running around trying to show students how to operate. Someone needs to make viewing filter kits like the old Kodak set.

24. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is interesting but the product availability is 40 years behind consumer market needs.

25. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    color ring-arounds with 45A is not hard. There's plenty of flash tubes still available on the secondary market, and they last a long time. Never had any overheating issues with my usage. IMNSHO, there's no flaw in the design despite what random pundits on the internet might have to say about it.

26. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have two different Beseler heads confused! The Beseler Minolta 45A is indeed additiive.
    The Universal 45 head is SUBTTRACTIVE...both the variable contrast controller and the color controller have C-Y-M values
    I purchased on new about 25 years ago, and printed color with the Universal 45 with color controller

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.