"New" 127 Rerachrome Transparency Film

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Meyer Trioplan, May 9, 2016.

1. Meyer Trioplan

Meyer Trioplan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was surprised to see this on one of my periodic searches for "127 film" on the auction site. I am not sure what the base film stock is for this, and don't think it is cut down Provia, but my be some 46mm wide E-100S from about a decade ago.

The odd translation of this Japanese page makes me a bit hesitant to share, but I can glean a few tidbits about the film...

http://efke.exblog.jp/25023061/

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Wow! Well there's Rerapan in 127 and there's really only one manufacturer or E-6 these days.

The actual site address has "EFKE" in the name, but I didn't think they even made any color, but I only shot Kodak color until efke's demise so I don't know their color history.

It doesn't look like old stock, since transparency doesn't last as long.

It's most likely "non-approved" batches of Fuji 100

And I mean, there are some batches that don't pass inspection, and I suspect they might sell those off in order not to take a loss?

I can't imagine it's new stock from a new company.

Rerapan was originally suspected to be Acros100 but I'm not sure that was ever confirmed and I got out of 127 before shooting any of mine, I kept one roll "just in case" but never tested it.

Good luck investigating this, thanks for sharing!

~Stone

3. OP
    OP
    Meyer Trioplan

Meyer Trioplan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I cut most of my 127 down or use old VP for the most part. I wish I could get just one roll to try and see if the edge advices offer up some clues to its origins.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So buy a roll on eBay :wink:

5. John Shriver

John Shriver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Freestyle's listing shows it as polyester base. That makes me think about Aviphot, since Fuji slide films aren't on polyester base. But is it Aviphot Chrome 200 (but they are calling it 100), or is it Aviphot Color X100 PE1 (and they are having users cross-process in E-6)?

Of course, Agfa shows both as discontinued, so it won't be available fresh for long...

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Odd choice of format for transparency film, isn't it?

Since transparency film requires accurate exposure, I don't know of many 127 cameras that offered control of focus, shutter speed, and aperture. Perhaps old folding cameras.

7. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless the stuff is so bad it would not need accurate exposure.

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    There were a couple of 127 TLR cameras made mostly with the thought of shooting "superslides" Sawyers is most common, made by the Topcon folks.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Baby" Rollei comes to mind: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Baby_Rolleiflex_(1957)

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

My Yashica44 and Yashica44LM both have full controls. The Baby Rollie too.

11. michr

michr Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were lots of Japanese folding "baby" cameras which took 127 film and were similar to the Zeiss Baby Ikonta, all with leaf shutters with multiple speeds. Also one can't forget the VP Exakta, Komaflex, and various Kodak Vest Pocket cameras. So while we usually associate 127 film with cheap 1950s box cameras, there were cameras on the spectrum from professional to amateur. It's a shame that 127 film is so expensive, because the cameras which use the film mostly sit idle.

12. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    UPDATE

I just received a 127 roll of ReraChrome 100 E-6 that I ordered from Macodirect Germany:

https://www.macodirect.de/en/rarities/5506/rera-chrome-100-roll-film-127

It has an expiration date of 07/2020 and is marked "Assembled in Japan"

I had ordered 70mm Double Perf Rollei B&W film and added the RearChrome to the order. It's a bit pricey.

I have a grey Rollei 4x4 that I use. I had a Maxwell screen put in it and the camera is a lot of fun to use. I have a couple of pages on the Rollei 4x4:

http://oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

http://oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4_use.htm

I need to update them :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.