Need suggestions, where to send for focus adjustment, Nikon F2?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Loren Sattler, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Loren Sattler

Loren Sattler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am suspicious my Nikon F2 is not focusing correctly. I am thinking that the mirror may need adjustment or something else is out of whack.

What repair station would you use? I am in Ohio.

2. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're not opposed to shipping, Nippon in NYC is very, very good with Nikons.

3. LeftCoastKid

LeftCoastKid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sover Wong. Perhaps a little expensive for some, but he has no peers.

4. pthornto

pthornto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Second the suggestion for Sover. You could just email him and ask his opinion or things to check. He is helpful and makes a lot of contributions to the Facebook f2 page.

5. kivis

kivis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow he wants $330 for a CLA of a Nikon Film camera. Paid about $75 to Gary's camera Repair. Good work and a fast turn around.

6. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Absolutely! Just Google 'SoverWong' and look at his website. Apart from being the owner of most of the worlds supply of F2 spares, he re manufactures otherwise unobtainable parts. He also has section of so called repairs by non Nikon Trained mechanics who make the problems worse. The only problem is he is SO GOOD he now has a waiting list of several weeks.

7. Willyekerslike

Willyekerslike Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes he is very good, I have had two F2S's serviced by Mr Wong and thet are dream to use. I am also in a 10 month waiting list for a F2SB to be serviced, it is well worth the wait.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What was wrong with the camera? What did he do?

9. TheRook

TheRook Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used Gary's Camera Repair several times for CLA jobs on various SLR cameras. Superb work. I can't imagine what a $330 CLA could have done any differently than Gary's... other than have a greater impact on my bank account.

10. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you care to visit the Soverwong website http://www.soverf2repair.webs.com/ you can see what he did - exactly. He has several levels of CLA the cheapest is quite basic but get more expensive the more comprehensive the work. If you want a good job where everything is perfect you can expect to pay a lot if you want the job to be done properly. If you want to spend only a few $s the you will either get a poor job or very little work done.

Before anyone decries the work, perhaps they should check the facts beforehand. Don't forget that $330 also may include cost of returning the camera to the USA which is not made clear by the post.

No I do not have anything to do with SoverWong, I just happen to know that his work is beyond reproach.

His service for the top two levels of work include:-

- All internal parts (except the shutter curtains)

- A full shutter speeds "before and after service" report

- Detailed service report with photos

- A free CD containing service details, Nikon repair and instruction manuals

- A free aluminum 1 Yen Japanese coin (to turn the battery cover without damage)

- A free micro fibre cloth (to clean the mirror, lens and prism without scratching them)

- A free set of rubber strap protectors

- Government taxes.

Return shipping and insurance is extra, at USD 55 to the US, and EUR 35 to Europe, for airmail with web tracking and GBP 250 insurance.

The current waiting time is very long at 13 months, but I have booking system so that customers can be book their cameras in advance, and I would email them when they should send their cameras to me.
    F2 body service warranties :

Basic = 6 months, limited (excludes slow shutter speeds and battery connection problems, because the inside of the camera wasn't checked or serviced.)

Standard and Extended = 12 months.

Parts and labour inclusive. Also, my warranties are internationally transferable to different owners.

Going by current rates of exchange $330 is not an excessive charge and judging by his charges scale the cost appears to be for the top of the range service which virtually means taking the camera to pieces and rebuilding from bottom up. The scale of charges are for service only, if any parts have to be replaced that are not covered in the service charge will hike up the cost

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad to see people offering this type of service for film cameras. All my Nikons are modern AF, but I hope to get some older mechanical ones. In fact I'd like to have the whole set from F2 to F5.

12. Scott Micciche

Scott Micciche Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have another vote for Sover. I was in the queue for 7 months and it was worth it. After 45 years, there were many things he had to adjust to get the camera to new spec (shutter speeds, lubrication). Having the DP-12 finder cleaned, calibrated and have his new resistor ring installed was golden!

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Soverised F2a, it's like a new camera. Even the slow slow speeds, governed by the self-timer, are spot on. He's worth every cent.

14. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Loren, first make sure the focusing screen is seating properly.

15. colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just wish Sover worked on the Canon F1 the same magic as he works on Nikons i would quite happily pay what he asks

16. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I admire Sover Wong for his dedication to the F2. But his prices are quite a bit out of my budget range. Instead I call upon the services of a local outfit that does excellent work on a variety of camera types. Plus their turnaround times are prompt and their prices are quite reasonable. Houston's Professional Camera Repair, and yes, they do mail orders.

http://professionalcamerarepair.com/