Need a Push for Good 2nd Body Choice to Leica M6 TTL

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by craigclu, Jan 18, 2018.

1. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find that I'm not using my mint M6 TTL as often as I should as I tend to baby it too much and find I'm avoiding grabbing it for some everyday duties from being too protective. I know better but sadly, I continue the behavior....

Now with that testimony out of the way, I'm deciding on a user rig that I can relax more with. My M lenses are Color Skopar 25mm w/finder, 35 and 50 ZM's and a 90 Elmarit for frame line reference. I'm considering a Voigtlander option, a Hexar RF or even an M5 as I see them listed in the $500-$600 range with non-working meters. I tend to use incident metering anyway so that factor isn't too critical to my situation. I'm an old Konica fan-boy so am drawn to these just for that reason but am a bit wary about longevity and rumors of the parts inventory being gone after the Minolta merger. Any thoughts on a moderately priced option for this? Other body ideas?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally I'd go with any of the above except the M3.
    Lots of people prefer the 3 because of the larger magnification. But it doesn't have a 35mm frame and it(along with the M2 & 4)
    are bottom loaders. M4 is where my experience ends.

When The Hexar RF came out I thought that was the camera Leica designers should have aimed for. Oh well.
    I claim total ignorance of Voigtlanders.

3. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Contax G rangefinder as a user rig to my M6. The G lenses and M lenses are not interchangeable but they do work well by themselves or in harmony with my each other.

[​IMG]

35mm Rangefinders by Narsuitus, on Flickr

4. Alan W

Alan W Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recommend a Konica Hexar RF.1/400 sec top shutter speed.AE and AE lock (my favourite).A back door that swings open.Automatic film advance and compatible with your m mount lenses.I also use a Minolta CLE,a really fine ,compact portable camera,but no frame lines for 50mm lenses.I use 40mm and 28mm rokkor lenses on this and the metering is accurate,2 button cell batteries last for years.I have a Leica M4 which rarely gets used since the arrival of the Hexar-too fiddly to load,and quite honestly I have the same problem you have in that its worth too much and I should probably sell it.I had,but sold, a Bessa r3A and liked it-but that's no good for anything wider than 50mm.

5. OP
    OP
    craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Narsuitus.... Blush... I've got a G system with 28/45/90 lenses and a G1 and G2 bodies. I haven't warmed to it, even after having it many years. Good optics, nice build quality. I've held onto it, thinking it would make a good film kit for my son. He's lost his zeal for photography and is into action stuff (ski racing, rock climbing, etc). Photography, especially analog is too sedate for him. I should really sell the Contax stuff to someone who would exercise it properly. As I write this, I should actually just start using it and see if I can get along with it with some time together!

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is why I bought an M4 already scuffed and dented -- no fears.

But why should you worry? Just take the m6 out of its case, put some film in it and go out shooting. Let it swing from its strap, bang against walls, set it on the floor of the car with the gum wrappers, let it get dusty and maybe even scuffed.

It's a tool, it is happiest when it is working.

Put it on a shelf, it will be sad. You don't want it to be sad, do you?

And -- there! -- I just saved you $600 tax free!

7. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I had two M bodies not for reason of babying one, but to be able to take pictures while another is in repairs. At this day and age it is not uncommon if you are regular user. For two previous years I had M3 which was serving me well while M4-2 was at two services and I'm still not sure if third and massively expensive is needed. But I'm not so 50mm guy to enjoy M3. I sold it on previous week and decided to go Bessa route (I actually went this way before and several times).

It might be last chance to own new Bessa this year as the last year. Cameraquest has some left and BH. They don't ship to Canada, so I was very lucky to have one new one offered to me locally.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  8. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Buy a beat up M6 and a Cosina made lens

9. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you should sell your M6TTL and buy something you will actually use. What's the point of having it if you are just going to put it on the shelf.

10. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I've been using a Hexar RF for a decade now. A lot of the paint has been rubbed off the Titanium covers. Way better durability than a Leica, plus from a usability standpoint, it is just a plain better camera. I like using my M3 occasionally, but the Hexar has withstood a lot of beating and it is still fine. Never had any problems with it. They are probably the best deal you can get on a Leica mount camera. Compared to a Voigtlander it isn't even close.

You can buy two Hexars and still have money left over compared to what the M6 cost you. The only drawback to the Hexar for me is a little shutter lag.

11. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My M4 bought new in 1970 wasn't babied for the 40 years until replaced by digital cameras for routine photography. The Vulcanite is chipping off and the metal shows much abuse, but this camera never let me down. The value of any fine tool is in the use to which it is employed, not in how well it adorns a shelf.

12. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. aoresteen

aoresteen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My main M camera is an M4-P. It's basically an M6 without a light meter. Get one.

Like other have said about your M6, USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or send it to me for a year. I'll use, bang it up a bit, and send it back to you so you won't feel bad using it :smile: !

14. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was recommended a leica cl as a cheap small m mount camera on here and i love it. Only has 40 50 and 90 framelines and i gather its small body means its not the best focusing fast lenses but a body is probably only $300-400 and its a pleasure to use.

15. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A camera is a tool, not jewellery. If the investment is beyond something you feel comfortable with, sell it and buy something cheaper. The image difference will be negligible to non-existent. If you're happy owning the M6 relative to your other outgoings, use the damn thing.

Psychologically, owning the "best" can be a creative cul-de-sac, especially if you're sold on the idea of a brand carrying the weight of expectation. For every Leica sold to a master photographer there were a thousand sold for Joe Schmo to take snaps of flowers and puppies. Great photographs can be taken on any half decent camera, and many pretty bad cameras. Some of the best pictures of anyone I knew were taken by a guy with a plastic Ricoh SLR and kit zoom. Maybe you need to run film through a point and shoot to appreciate the M6? Maybe you'll never go back to the Leica because a P&S suits your style of photography? Whatever, it's a first world problem and I wouldn't sweat it.

16. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 2015 I bought a mint cosmetic condition M6TTL that had an issue with the meter ( likely from not being used ) for $1,200 on eBay. I then commenced to having DAG not only fix the meter issue but get rid of the 90mm and 135mm frame lines, put in a MP style RF system to avoid patch flare and do a complete CLA finished with a black logo. Then I replaced the leatherette with griptac.

It literally looked like a brand new camera when it went into service. Now it has a couple scuffs here and there and dust in the VF and I could care less. It’s a tool for me to earn a living with, not a status symbol. If you are not using yours, sell it to someone who will.

17. OP
    OP
    craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dislike hanging threads so for what it's worth... I ended up picking up a Hexar RF, thus scratching an old itch that I've had to have one. I split a roll of T-max, half through the Leica and half through the Konica. They both shared the same focus points so the potential back-focus issue doesn't appear present or at least distinguishable to my eyes and a 25X loupe on this body. It has a nice, natural feel to its operation and I appreciate the motor aspect. It has a more solid tactile feel than I expected, too. I already had the 18X flash unit that I used on my Hexar AF's some years back so I'm set for a dedicated fill flash. It had been doing duty that way for my Fujifilm digital gear as the dedicated pin is off to the side lacking pins on the Fuji hot shoes. I'm not sure why, but that little flash has a nice, soft sort of fill that doesn't blast out scenes and maintains some dimension to shots. I actually missed out on some eBay Leicas before doing the Hexar routine. Thanks for the inputs. It's a pleasant decision when nothing is really wrong with any of the choices....

18. LouisGR

LouisGR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Suggest a Leica M4. It loads and rewinds film like the M6, and has frames for 35, 50, 90 [and 135 mm] lenses in the finder.
    Cheers and have fun

Louis

19. Yes

Yes Subscriber

Shooter:
    Digital
    You won't be able to use your lenses, but maybe a user Nikon S2?