Members
Latest member
Crit-ter85
Recent bookmarks

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
utazymub.jpg

Pulled my OM-1n out of the bag this morning and Yikes! saw this in the viewfinder. When I got it out I found it was a section of a flexible tube or band of some kind. It was sitting on the top surface of the screen. Any ideas what it might be? Something to be concerned about? Camera seems to be working fine.

Jim Jones

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It won't affect the photographs as long as it is on the focusing screen, but whatever it is might migrate to where it can cause malfunctions. If it is on the top of the focusing screen, removal would require some camera disassembly. If it is on the lower surface, it is accessible when the lens is removed.

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
It won't affect the photographs as long as it is on the focusing screen, but whatever it is might migrate to where it can cause malfunctions. If it is on the top of the focusing screen, removal would require some camera disassembly. If it is on the lower surface, it is accessible when the lens is removed.

The screens are interchangeable, therefore easily removeable once you take the lens off.
Bit I'd be a lot more concerned with "where did it come from"?

OP
OP
erikg

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
I got it out. But yes that is my concern: where did it come from?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Send this info to John at zuiko.com, and ask for a suggestion.

As an aside, if you had included a reference to Olympus OM1 in the thread title, John might very well have noticed the thread and responded without prompting.

EDIT: Also, keep the offending item - it may help a repair technician diagnose the problem.

OP
OP
erikg

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks! I thought about contacting John, he serviced this camera a few years ago and it came back working better than new, if that is possible. Great repair guy. He would be the guy who could id the piece if anyone can. You are right, should have put the camera model in the header.

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Tube? Or deceased bug?
Got a good magnifier?

OP
OP
erikg

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
Tube for sure. Looks like a slice of surgical tubing, slightly yellowed.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I always wondered what the viewfinder of an OM looked like. Simple and uncluttered.

Shooter
35mm
It is part of a broken shock absorber (silicon rubber ring). I suggest removing screen, gently blow off so the debris will not get jammed inside the meter or other important area. John

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I always wondered what the viewfinder of an OM looked like. Simple and uncluttered.

...and at 0.92x it is huge, compared to viewfinders which also have to cram in the display of status and settings at 0.8x magnification

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom