Mounting and Matting

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by CMoore, Jan 7, 2018.

1. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A lot of people use Logan mat cutters with good results. I use one that is a cheaper model than this one but I found it hard to make straight cuts with so I only use it as a straight edge for a Dexter cutter.

3. mfagan

mfagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That looks like the one I have (similar if not the same one -- now in storage after a move or I'd check for you). Bought new around 2000 and not ever made me wish for something better. Straight cuts of course and beveled-window overmat is all I need it for, and it has worked very well -- almost no errors. I needed a couple of spare parts to replace some damaged in a previous move and found customer support to be very responsive, and the parts very reasonably priced.

4. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What ply mat do you plan to cut? I prefer 8 ply, which I find to be more difficult to get right. You can read that as a steep and expensive learning curve. I use a Logan 650 and can get a decent cut with it. What I find myself doing most often these days is either buying Nielsen-Bainbridge pre-cut mats or have frame destinations cut them for me (www.framedestination.com) They do a great job! Bill Barber

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It is nice that it can handle full sheets of 32x40. I use to buy full sheets and cut them down as needed. It should work well for many years.

6. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Logan compact to cut mats up to 16x20 and have been happy with it.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. Ordering pre-cut mats in very few sizes is economical and makes a neat exhibit. Like Dpurdy I used a Dexter and straight edge for years. Once one has mastered the Dexter, it is inexpensive and easy to use. The Little Logan hand cutter is better. Making a few guides to mark the distance from mat board to window opening speeds up the process with these hand cutters. The big Logans may be worth the expense when one cuts many mats.

8. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 6 or 7 years back, after selling a few prints and feeling flush with $$$, I bought a Logan Simplex Elite 750. I normally do a double window mat, and it makes that a lot easier than using a Dexter and a straight edge, my previous "tooling." I don't do huge amounts of mat cutting, but so far it has not given me any problems.

I think some of the various named models/kits are more about differences (and additional cost) in the accessories supplied than the actual cutter. My kit has extra widgets to score acrylic and cut glass, neither of which I've yet used. Logan has some pretty decent videos on using their cutters.

9. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Logan 700SGM, which is an older version of the one you have. I bought it in college because my art school profs wanted everything matted for grades. Used frame shops to cut mats my first semester, got the mat cutter for the next one. First time I used it, I saved more money than the mat cutter cost!

To the OP, get a cutter that has the cutting head attach to a rail, this makes it near impossible to get an unstraight cut. The ones you use with a straightedge are HARD to get good results with. The more expensive ones like the Logan 750 are expensive, about $350, but WORTH IT.

10. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank You Everybody.....I DO Apprentice The Help :smile::cool::heart::wink::smile:

11. jimjm

jimjm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use the Logan Compact cutter for mats up to 16x20, and have been very happy with it. No problems after using it for about 15 years and quick to use once you've cut a few mats. I think it's a model or two down from what you're looking at.
    Cuts are clean and professional-looking, but be sure to replace the blades when they start to get dull. It's almost impossible not to get a straight accurate cut, as long as you measure carefully and pay attention to what you're doing.

12. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Replacing the blade often is essential to getting clean cuts. I replace mine every ten or so mats. A new blade is a quarter; an archival mat board is several dollars. And you won't know you need a new blade until you have burrs on your cuts. It is also essential for clean cuts that you have a piece of mat board under the mat board you are cutting. Don't worry; you'll quickly become proficient. A mat cutter is a great investment. It will pay for itself in no time.

13. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have made a grand total of Two Mats, and that has been a few months ago in school. I understand the Price/Convenience of buying Pre-Made Mats, but i am not quite sure how that works.? Are they just a bit smaller than the size of the paper.?
    I shoot mostly 35mm.
    Especially with 8x10 paper, the actual size of the picture is, very often, much smaller.....more like 7x9.
    That would be my main reason for buying a cutter. So i can make a mat to fit whatever size my actual photo turns out to be.
    When you buy the pre-cut mats, are they pretty close to 8x10 and 11x14.?
    Thanks Again

17. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It will work just fine; it served me well for 15 years; just use fresh blades and change them often

18. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Cutting mats to me is one of those things that I want to be over with before I even start.

The pull cutter for Logan has a pin that keeps it in place during the plunge which helps hold it straight. The push cutters don't as far as i have seen. Push cutters can get a little squirrelly during the plunge so the bevel is slightly wonky. That always bugged me. Maybe others don't notice it. That is why I bought a pull cutter. The pull cutter swings the blade into the mat instead of plunging it straight in. The pull cutter is the model 5000.

If you cut a lot of mats the same size keep one for a template. When you need to cut more you won't have to measure, just put the mat down and use a pencil to trace out the window. Speeds things up significantly.

I've seen mat cutters that ride on double rails. Love to have one of those. They aren't made by Logan though. No idea what they are called or where to get one. They were pretty expensive too IIRC.

One thing to check is that the cutter rides on the lip without any slop. They have adjustments for that. You want it to be tight.

I'll reiterate what has already been said several times. You need to change the blade! Makes everything go much smoother. I had a friend who did some high faluttin' framing and he would change the blade every cut. You read that right. The blade only touched the mat once and it was tossed. That is a little extreme but he was getting paid some serious bucks. Still, shows how important a sharp blade is. I change mine every couple of mats. If you are doing large mats you should change after every mat.

19. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Logan 4000 Deluxe pull style mat cutter. It's fairly easy to use, so long as you have a nice, thick straight edge to run it up against. I have yet to ruin a mat with it. The little ruler with the pencil lead on the tip makes marking the mats quicker, though it's not a necessary feature. I had considered buying a mat cutting system, but I just don't have the space to store such a thing. That and the price makes them harder to justify, when the handheld one works just as well. I did some math and figured I had to make around 8 mats to pay for the Logan 4000 and 100 blades. That a pretty small investment.

20. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Precut mats are usually slightly smaller than the nominal art size. This is so they cover the edges of the art. Dry mounted photographs traditionally are matted with larger windows that expose some of the mount. You can order custom mats with the window whatever size that fits your artwork. There is a modest set-up fee for this, but it is negligible when ordering a quantity of one size. True artists may cringe at this idea, but making the artwork fit a very few mat sizes is more practical than cutting a mat especially to fit each bit of art.

21. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have the older model Logan 700SGM. Has worked fine for me for years of light duty. I only use 4 ply mats so not sure if it will work on 8 ply. It is fairly large so you will need a place to store it. I tend to crop each picture individually so precut mats don't work for me. Cutter prices aren't bad when you consider how much good mat board costs nowadays.

22. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I make/need mats so infrequently that lack of practice means I screw them up and waste more material than is worthwhile. Lately, I've been patronizing this PHOTRIO advertiser:

There's no setup fee (even for a single mat), the work is perfect / reasonably priced and boards offered are of the highest quality. Drill down from the linked page to see how one specifies mat sizes/cutouts.

23. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This has kind of been my experience, I have a logan cutter, but I also have a small framing shop near me, run by a guy who is a photo enthusiast.
    He has a computerized cutter, and can cut a mat in less time than it takes me to make the measurements for the first cut, and he charges very little for the board. After destroying a few sheets of mat board, and finding his shop, my logan has been gathering dust.

24. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not hard to cut a mat. I just cut 34 16x20 mats for a new series without an issue. Not everyone has a sugar daddy mat cutter nearby, and it otherwise would have cost me a fortune.

25. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I do consider myself lucky, and no, they aren't hard, though, as with many things, being familiar with the equipment, and practicing, helps a lot, which was one of my problems.
    OTH, there are many small frame shops around, and making friends with one might be a viable solution for some.

26. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A serious Logan matcutter complete with stops and a squaring arm costs about a thousand bucks. Other pro linear matcutters cost somewhat more. The cheaper units might be OK for small quantities of work; but I gave up on them long ago. Don't assume cut sheets of matboard have truly square sides. I'm trying to save up for an Esterly Speedmat. I've got tendonitis in my fingers, and if I ever have to prep another major show, it would certainly be a luxury.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.