More exposure count than roll

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by mackenziegrun, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:48 PM.

1. mackenziegrun

mackenziegrun Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an older Olympus OM-2, I’ve been shooting for a little bit (definitely a beginner and have only developed 2 rolls). I had a roll put in that claims to have 24 exposures but the camera let me advance until 34. Everything felt the same as it usually does in terms of the advance lever, but I am cautious in getting the roll developed if it may be a dud. It’s not cheap to get them developed around here. Anyone else have this problem and how did the film turn out? Like I said, everything felt the same while shooting/advancing/loading.

2. glbeas

glbeas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Open the back in a dark room and check for one of three things. One- film may not have engaged and you were shooting blanks. Two- film may have detached from the spindle when you reached the end of the roll. Three- sprocket holes may have torn at the end of the roll and you only shot 24 to 25 frames actually. The last frame will have multiple exposures piled up.

3. C Jensen

C Jensen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the world of analog. Digital is a passing fad.
    Been there done that.
    Bet you were shooting blanks. Roll sockets did not catch. It happened to me once (hah hah) well maybe twice. Always check that your rewind crank is turning after you take the slack out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 5:46 AM
  4. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still remember shooting with my then new to me Pentax LX, and marvelling at the silky smooth ball bearing advance... until I looked at the exposure counter which was far beyond 36! Yep, the leader hadn't engaged the takeup spool! My numerous award-winning shots were...gone! Such thing happen to all of us, eventually.

5. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Also... next time... while it's important to watch the rewind crank go the opposite direction as you wind forward... don't constantly cinch the rewind knob tight on an OM.

It can kink the film and leave little half-moon marks in your skies.

(My way of saying... it's happened to me... I thought I had a solution... it made things worse until I learned to relax).

6. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Getting 2 to 3 extra exposures on the roll of film is quite normal, depending upon how you've loaded it. Some films in the past used to state these 'extras' on the packaging as a selling point eg '24 exposure +3'. Some labs I've used in the past would charge you extra for each extra exposure on a 24 or 36 exposure, whilst some absorbed it and developed the extras for free.

It does sound as if something is wrong though, with the exposure counter going that high. Have you rewound and taken the film out and checked it wasn't actually a 36 exposure film?

And as for processing, only this will tell the whole story when the prints come back to you.

Terry S

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.