Medalist II question -- ground glass back

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by markfitzgerald, Feb 5, 2018.

1. markfitzgerald

markfitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just picked up a ground glass viewing back for my medalist II and I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what sort of "glass" was in these, since mine has none. It doesn't look as if there's room for anything other than something about the thickness of a credit card -- which makes me think it was some kind of plastic. If anyone has one of these, I'd be grateful if you could look at it and tell me what is supposed to be in there. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2. nosmok

nosmok Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these, I'll check it if I can remember where I put the damn thing. My recollection is it's something like microscope-slide glass, which is pretty thin. Of course Kodak had their own glassworks so they could stuff anything they wanted in there. Also remember, the image/ film plane is on the FRONT of the glass, where the frosting is-- the thickness of the GG doesn't affect the focus.

3. OP
    OP
    markfitzgerald

markfitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks a lot. The way the door is made, I can't for the life of me figure out how it could be anything other than 1/32 of a inch. That would be pretty fragile. I'd probably break it trying to frost it.

4. nosmok

nosmok Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can get some really thin glass or rigid plastic, this'll work for frosting: put some Scotch "Magic" Transparent tape on the lens side (don't overlap the strips)! I use this stuff stretched across the film aperture all the time to check focus on Frankencamera and lens clean and remount projects-- works beautifully. (BTW still haven't found my @#%!@#$%$#@ Medalist box-- sorry! I'll keep looking.)

5. OP
    OP
    markfitzgerald

markfitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks
    Thanks, I did find out from Fotoguy20d that it's real glass, and it's held in place by the chrome ring that holds the leather hood on. So I will try to find some thin glass and maybe try some of that spray on privacy paint they sell now for windows. That might be easier than sand blasting it. I like the tape idea though!

6. Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No need to sand blast, a bit of valve grinding compound between two pieces of glass works very well. I use grinding compound and a steel lapping plate to make my GG's.

7. OP
    OP
    markfitzgerald

markfitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ah that might be easier for sure. Thanks for the tip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.