Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

Brendan Quirk

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I guess the tradition is to begin a new subscription with an introduction on this forum. After lurking on this site for some years, I have decided that I should provide some support. Although I probably won't participate much in the discussions, I can upload many of the numerous print scans I have accumulated. I mostly use this site for reading diversion - a good break from the routine. Maybe I might have something too contribute in the future.

Since many provide a small description of their history and what they are about photographically, I have composed one for you (see below). I hope it isn't too long.

I started out in 1970 at the age of 14, when a friend who had learned basic darkroom in high school photo club wanted my help to set up a home darkroom. I used a Kodak Bantam 828 for shooting at first, but graduated to a new Ricoh Singlex TLS soon after. Darkroom equipment was quite basic, Prinz enlarger and lens, no timer, etc. B/W only. Used Medalist single weight paper in grades 2 and 3.

I shot vacation photos in color off and on in the 70s, but did not do much B/W darkroom work. In the early 80s, I went full bore in B/W darkroom with all new equipment (Beseler 23CII, Rodagon), and moved into variable contrast (some RC, mostly Agfa fiber), along with fiber graded papers. In the late 80s to mid-90s I took mostly color vacation snaps, with some B/W enlargements on Panalure. I reopened the darkroom after moving in the late 90s, and have been working fairly constantly since then, with layoffs when necessary due to other needs. Currently, I use exclusively Ilford FP4+ and Multigrade Classic DW fiber.

For cameras, I switched to an old Nikon Ftn Photomic in the late 90s when a coworker went digital and gave me the camera free. Lately, I have acquired many more 35s from ebay, especially Minoltas, but I am moving over to Pentax 67 for better negatives. I recently acquired a Sinar F1 4x5, and hope to learn view camera come better weather.

I work mainly on non-staged shots as found and encountered in regular life and travels. I especially like to just walk about and look for interesting shots, sometimes, but not always, with projects in mind. I don’t like much manipulation, and try to stay away from extensive dodging/burning, probably because I’m lazy. I am not currently interested in digital since I am finally getting better at film (especially enlarging), and can now afford decent equipment.

Thanks for your patience.
Brendan Quirk
brendanquirk.com

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to Photrio.
I hope you find it as rewarding as I have found my APUG/Photrio experience.
And thanks for subscribing.

Valerie

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome, Brendan. This is a great place! Looking forward to seeing your work here.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to APUG Photrio

Black Dog

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome, enjoy your photography and your forum browsing!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom