Threads
Members
Latest member
Ziggystardust
Recent bookmarks

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
A set of 20 chemicals, graduate, scale, textbook etc. to experiment with developers

A interesting kit !
Unique to my knowledge. Or was there more of this kind?

1656190352121.jpeg

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
About 200 times looked at, but no comment.

And I thought that such kit would trigger all our developer nerds, saying that they would have loved to have had something like this...

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
perhaps the Viewers are disappointed that it is not something one can order for fast delivery.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
It really does have everything you need - except it should have about 5 pounds of sodium sulphite. Amazing what $12 could get you.

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Someone is selling the scale on ebay
View attachment 309097

Looks incredibly accurate....
probably adequate, note that the Ad shows a pan for the chemicals, and the scale proably needs that to reach ZERO. I do wonder how many weighings would be required to make any of the Fixer Formulas.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Looks like a good kit. There's a good list of everything you need. I would pass on the Mercury salt, etc.

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
The only thing that comes near to it and that comes up to my mind, is a perfume kit where you got a number of essences and could mix up a perfume yourself. And this was something from the last decades.

foc

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I see they also offer "the companion darkroom outfit" for just $1.95

I would love to see the book that came with the set.

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format

You find copies for sale.

Furthermore it is in the Google-Books (and likely a 2nd US-) server, but I cannot get access from Germany.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I see they also offer "the companion darkroom outfit" for just $1.95

I wonder if the companion outfit means that it is something like Greg Davis' apron. Apparently it offers full protection without the need to wear anything underneath 😄

pentaxuser

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I rather would have expected such apron from Orwo...

(but likely only Germans will get this)

Last edited:

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My brother and I had a small Ansco contact-printing lightbox contraption that would print up to 120. I think it came with chemistry packets that very quickly ran out and were replaced with Kodak chemicals. I shot a lot of stuff with my Brownie Starmite and contact-printed it. This would have been in the early 1960s.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Well in today's $ the kit is now $238 so depending on the quantity of chemicals and even allowing for the scales was it in fact such a bargain?

pentaxuser

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
My brother and I had a small Ansco contact-printing lightbox contraption that would print up to 120. I think it came with chemistry packets that very quickly ran out and were replaced with Kodak chemicals. I shot a lot of stuff with my Brownie Starmite and contact-printed it. This would have been in the early 1960s.

There also was such kind of kit here too. But in these cases it was to trigger interest into phtography and/ or the science behind it. But it was about the basic photographic processes.

The Mansfield kit though is aimed at initiated persons, interested in going few steps further.

I like the idea. If it would come with a really good, non-esoteric textbook, explaining the different sorts of developers.

Last edited:

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
My brother and I had a small Ansco contact-printing lightbox contraption that would print up to 120. I think it came with chemistry packets that very quickly ran out and were replaced with Kodak chemicals.

That was my introduction to the darkroom also. just about wore out the Anscomatic tank. may still have the tiny print trays.

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Noted. I shall work on this. I already presented Tito's lab...

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
That was my introduction to the darkroom also. just about wore out the Anscomatic tank. may still have the tiny print trays.
Whoa! That triggered a memory. Didn't the Anscomatic have a cheap plastic thermometer/swizzle stick that you inserted through the lid?

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Whoa! That triggered a memory. Didn't the Anscomatic have a cheap plastic thermometer/swizzle stick that you inserted through the lid?
Yes, as did the Yankee Clipper II, which I also used for a while. (that one is still made but I don't think they include the thermometer any more ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895914-REG/Yankee_rfc_15t_Clipper_II_Roll_Film.html ) (the clipper II will also do 16mm/110 )
somewhere along the line a also got an older generation Anscomatic which does not have a thermometer. some of the Anscomatics that coresponded to the one in the developing kit were just called "GAF" and I have seen at least one with no name on it..

many years later I found a complete set which I have stashed away as a memento.

OP
OP

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Finally we ended in nostalgia. More of this.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom