Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

madNbad

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
It was introduced in 1994 making it a regular M6 with some fancy touches. Still has the M6 the zinc top plate but with raised frames around the viewfinder window.

I was just looking at the stupid prices for the Millennium and none are as nice as the one I sold.

OP
OP
darkosaric

darkosaric

Shooter
Multi Format
If you had told me 5 years ago that those silly Olympus Mju or whatever they are would be going for crazy money nowdays I'd have said you were nuts.

Yes, I remember buying those on flea market for 5-10€, and selling them 10x the price. And now - even more crazy. Also 10+ years ago I could find Leica ZX, or old P&S Leica C2 for like 10€, and sell them on American ebay for 80-90€. And now it is even more crazy. Olympus XA, XA2 are also one of those.

NB23

Shooter
35mm
It was introduced in 1994 making it a regular M6 with some fancy touches. Still has the M6 the zinc top plate but with raised frames around the viewfinder window.

I was just looking at the stupid prices for the Millennium and none are as nice as the one I sold.

Yes, typo. M6 Special edition obviously.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I did not care for my R3A. I could not see why anyone would use that clanky lump if they had a Leica M. Gave it a try to see what it was about, got rid of it.

I asked Lee Friedlander about this. Apparently he is not a Leica fanboy; said his Leicas are in a drawer since getting a Bessa.

Rayt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I asked Lee Friedlander about this. Apparently he is not a Leica fanboy; said his Leicas are in a drawer since getting a Bessa.

The AE and viewfinder of the BESSA are reasons to use one and also the price. But at $1500 now for a used one or $2000 and higher for the Zeiss maybe not as much. The rf on the Bessa always go out of vertical alignment and adjustments don’t last.

NB23

Shooter
35mm

Bessas are so much more reliable, and responsive, than a M7. But who likes plastic?

Also, Leica fanboyism is an empty insult. Sure, when all one knows is the M6, a bit of the M line, the 5 summicrons and 5 summiluxes, that is not a rich understanding of what Leica is.

But! Going through a catalogue from the 50’, of all the Leica products, is a mind blowing experience. The VASTNESS of products, the engineering behind it all, it’s nothing short of mindblowing. The average Leica user cannot even grasp the importance of that company in the Photo world, not the huuuuge selection of products they were offering.

AZD

Shooter
35mm
Ah, there’s no making sense of any of it, at least the prices people are willing to pay. I guess it does surprise me though to see so many zeros on price tags dangling from questionable cameras. Case in point, I have seen a well used T2 in the same case as a NEW Nikon S3 WITH lens asking more money. WTF? But I know which one will sell first…

I wish I could remember where I read this and who said it, but he called it the “three paella rule” or something like that. The first time you have it, you can only say whether you like it or not. The second time you can only say whether you like it more or less than the first. By the third time you can start to form an opinion of how it should be.

Cameras (and everything else, actually) are like that. To a degree, M6 hype is from people asking which is the best paella to try first - and then eat forever.

Maybe it will settle out. Doesn’t seem like AE-1’s are so overpriced/overhyped anymore, at least not locally. First time I used an AE-1 I could hardly stand it, not good paella. Immediately pick up my FE2 and oh yeah, that’s how you make an automatic exposure SLR. I paid $30 for the AE-1 though, so meh, sell it on. Can’t do that with paella now, can you?

Lots of good medium format cameras coming up for sale now, and not selling very fast. Remember a couple years ago when everything medium format had the Midas touch? Not so anymore. Maybe the M6 will peak, too. Or maybe it IS the best damn paella ever. Who knows?

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Sentiment like displayed in this thread is why I’d never ever consider a Leica.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Sentiment like displayed in this thread is why I’d never ever consider a Leica.

Leica was eliminated from my list because it is a range finder. Still there is nothing the feels like a Leica M series, but close still means no cigar.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Leica was eliminated from my list because it is a range finder. Still there is nothing the feels like a Leica M series, but close still means no cigar.

I really don’t care how it feels, when it comes with that amount of desperation and baggage.
I wouldn’t want to be associated with 90 percent of the people shooting Leica today.
Just the adult version of various Contax AF point and shoots.

I appreciate its history and the quality of the product itself, but by now it’s just too tainted with an amount of bourgeois pretentiousness that is almost tangible.

AZD

Shooter
35mm
I appreciate its history and the quality of the product itself, but by now it’s just too tainted with an amount of bourgeois pretentiousness that is almost tangible.

Much the same could be said about film itself, but here we all are.

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I wouldn’t want to be associated with 90 percent of the people shooting Leica today.

Nor would I. What bastards! Idiots with beards and man buns ranting on about the importance of a red dot or whatnot!

That said, I choose to carry a camera because I enjoy using it. Not because of who else uses it.

I enjoy the rangefinders, and mine is lovely. Very early M3. I like how super quiet the shutter is and find it easy to focus. Even with 1950s vintage glass it takes lovely photographs. And it's a nice form factor, fits well in my hands, takes very little space in my bag.

Strangely, none of that changes because of some internet hipster's opinions.

God help you if your favorite thing becomes popular with the wrong people. But, you do you.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Much the same could be said about film itself, but here we all are.

You‘ll find poseurs in any realm.
It’s all a question of degree.

Nothing is ever absolute.
A little showing off is OK.
Status signaling is a human basic.
Avoiding that would be impossible and would be flushing the baby with the bathwater.

What is too much you ask?
Again, there is no absolute.
One indicator is looking at the work they produce with their Leica.
Another is how many times they mention the name Leica either as humblebrag (veiled complaining) or outright brag.
Another is how much they insist on wearing it as a necklace all the time.

Also don’t confuse aspiration, proselytizing fascination and pride in own work with conspicuous consumption.

Barnack users are a completely different bunch. Some pretend they prefer Barnack because they couldn’t afford an M.
Others genuinely like Barnacks and produce wonderful work with them.
You don’t spot them often though, because they usually have the camera in hand, or inside a jacket or bag.

Last edited:

AZD

Shooter
35mm
God help you if your favorite thing becomes popular with the wrong people.

Yeah, it happens sometimes, right?

I was always in to crappy old trucks. The first vehicle I ever owned, age 19, was a Studebaker pickup. That ratty old thing was a blast. Life, sold it, always wanted another. Seven years ago I bought an International for $900 and brought it back to life. Now, through no fault of my own, about that same time, old pickups with “patina paint” became all the rage. Now there I was, unintentionally virtue signaling my manhood and getting attention at every stop light. Almost as good as owning an M6, amirite?

My personal pretentious bourgeois necklace of desperation is an M3 and dual range Summicron mit goggles. Talk about anachronisms upon anachronisms. Still, I would feel better about myself if more people asked me if it was a Leica.

“Oh, this old thing? Why, yes it is a Leica! I’d offer to take your portrait and send you a bespoke silver gelatin print, but you see, there’s not any film in it! I simply can’t afford any after buying my Leica! Would you like to know how much I paid? No, really, please ask me!”

Derek Lofgreen

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
As someone very wise once told me on this forum... "No one got into photography to save money."

No one is making hi quality, or even mediocre quality film cameras anymore. There is no more new supply of cameras like the Nikons, Canons and yes even Leica. Every day a film camera is dropped, or quits working because some part broke or short circuited (i.e. my beloved XA) never to be used again. On the other hand interest in shooting film is on the rise. Ala, supply and demand. If the prices on these old wonderful cameras rise enough then maybe Nikon, Canon or Leica will start making a film camera again. One can hope.

Happy shooting
D.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom