Lucky film is coming back

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ricardo Miranda, Jun 8, 2017.

1. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    with sellers in China, one can never be sure. Interesting that the description includes "new polyester base! (Can we say Light piping, I know you can) this could be someone hijacking (or buying) the trade name.

2. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's too funny. When China has to compete on quality their price goes up to the same level as everyone else making the same quality products. Everyone thinks of China in terms of great bargains, but quality always suffers. I'd much rather buy competitive products from China that compete on quality, not price.

3. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What's the point in another B&W 400 speed film? We bought lucky and Shanghai not because it was good, but because it was cheap. If I'm going to pay full price I'll stick will Kodak, Illford, and Fuji. If I want to go cheap I'll buy bulk Ultrafine.

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For that matter, what is the point of having more than one type of any speed or format of film? If you can answer that question, you may understand why some people are looking forward to the return of Lucky film.

5. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't get me wrong, I applaud any new films coming into market. But at some point it'll get silly, the new hip thing will be to start a film up and expect to get sales off of it. The film market is not very strong, you need to fill in some sort of niche. Lucky's was cheap film.

I'd hate to see investors give up on film because of unrealistic expectations. Film is now a luxury item not a necessity. The same way people don't put ink refills for their pens on their shopping list, people don't put film on it either. It's not an every day item for the vast majority of people any more.

6. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Point taken, but my point was that Lucky had some very distinct characteristics that were missed when they ceased production. I dare say that I am probably not the only person who is pleased to hear that they are returning. (Whether or not it returns as the same product, or with those same characteristics is a different question)

7. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mind pointing them out for me? I have about a half dozen fresh frozen rolls sitting in my fridge and was wondering what the pros and cons of this brand is. I was a big user of Shanghai GP3 but not 35mm lucky.

8. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not saying that Lucky was a great film, (In fact, the joke among photographers in our area was that you were "lucky" if you got a negative you could print) but the fact that it lacked an anti-halation layer gave a soft glow to specular highlights that could be quite attractive.

9. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

10. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hopefully they'll cut some sheet film. I'd like to shoot some large format, anti-halation-less film.

11. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the look I was talking about.
    still-life-002.jpg

12. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am glad any new film is being introduced.

I used to buy Lucky C41 in the 99 cent store a few years ago and it worked pretty well - cheap fresh film that was quite acceptable for casual use, and also testing cameras and lenses. I also have, and still shoot occasionally, their less common (in the USA) B&W film. However all Lucky film was inexpensive film, and this new stuff is not. I personally find Freestyle Arista EDU pretty hard to beat for the price - Kentmere being a runner-up. I hope they lower the price of this - there will be a market.

13. Harry Stevens

Harry Stevens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought ten rolls of Lucky SHD100 just before it disappeared and it came in Kodak canisters with a Lucky sticker covering everything but the DX code trouble is the canisters where of different speeds like Kodak 200 complete with it's DX code.

Still got a few left. I would love to get GP3 120 back...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    sounds like someone from the aftermarket was in play, unless they were using up stock cassettes from the former joint venture.

16. Harry Stevens

Harry Stevens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bought from these when they sold it, done a search of my old emails....
    Holgadget.com

>Thank you for placing your order with Holgadget.com

This email is to confirm your recent order.

Date 02/01/2015

Shipping address
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    United Kingdom

1x Lucky SHD100 B&W 135 Film - 10 Rolls for $25.99 each

Subtotal : $25.99 USD
    Shipping : $0.00 USD
    Total : $25.99 US

17. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    GP3 was the reason I shot MF. My cameras are collecting dust for the most part since that stuff left.

18. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Shanghai discontinued due to a factory upgrade of some sort and they now do manufacture sheet film. Supposedly they wanted to reintroduce roll film (even 220 rumoured) but nothing sure on the matter...

19. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That would be nice but I hope they don't get all uppity and think they now make a premium product and charge what Kodak or Fuji charges. Then wonder where all their projected sales went.

20. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    aren't they doing a buy in right now on LF forum for cut sizes of Lucky Sheet Film??
    there is a guy over in China making it happen...
    nice someone else is cutting film besides Ilford once a year (Bergger says they will too)
    Analog is coming back strong!!

21. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last batch of GP3 I got had Reactive backing paper which left interesting fog marks on the film. (only good area was where the numbers were. ) I suspect that the entire batch was discarded. I know I have set aside as junk what I had left which was the better part of ten rolls. SAD as it can be a lovely film.

22. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't find the thread over there... I'd like to verify that it's 'genuine' Luck film sans anti-halation. I seem to recall that not all Lucky film back in the day had this feature. (It may have been the 400 film)

Lucky SHD was the first film I used after my return to the darkroom after 20+ years (ok, more like 30) and I kinda grew to like it, despite the fact that the 'real' photographers around me were turning up their noses at it.