LPL 4500 II enlargers

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Joe Washington, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    so is it true that the white light on the VCCE module is the same as the light on the diffusion module? I mostly print on graded paper so not sure I want to invest the extra money on the VCCE module if I can find enough savings on the diffusion module, and just want to make sure I would be getting the same light source with the VCCE if using the white light. Thanks for any input.

2. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am familiar with the dichroic color module, and the basic unfiltered lamphouse, and the VCCE module. What is the "diffusion module"?

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the light source is the same, the diffusion module mounts in the same location as the color filter module or the VCCE module, the lamp assembly is separate.
    For reference; http://store.khbphotografix.com/Black-and-White-Diffusion-Module-for-LPL-4x5-Enlargers.html

IMO, the "diffusion module" is a bit oddly named, since it's a diffusion enlarger no matter which module it has, they all use the same mixing box which is what makes it a diffusion enlarger. A condenser light source is the one thing it doesn't support.

4. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it were me I would try to find a VCCE module used. Even though you are printing on graded papers, it still gives you the option to switch to VC papers without the hassle of below the lens filters. I love my LPL 4x5 VCCE.

5. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree, all these modules accompany the regular incandescent lamphouse, which is shared. The VCCE module has the facility to bypass the filters if required (white light).

If you can work with the dichroic color module, which also has a white light facility included, and are looking to purchase one I have one that is like new, it was included in the package when I bought my 4550XLG, it is never going to get used, it will be a lot less than the price KHB shows, if you are interested please contact me via the forum, we may be able to agree a deal.

PS tables that give the dial settings of the color module that correspond to variable contrast filtration are published by Ilford on their website.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  6. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All models of the 4500-II use the same light sources, the filtration goes between the source and the mixing box. If the VCCE module isn't terribly more expensive, get it. Of course, you can always use below-the lens separate filters for VC.

The modules between the 4500 and 4550 are interchangeable, but the light source for the 4550 is different.

7. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    If you don't have an enlarger yet, and you will occasionally print with VC papers, then the VCCE module would be the one to get since it sure is convenient, although it would depend on how you intend to print with VC papers. If you find a good deal on a straight diffusion model, snag it. Below the lens filters aren't that big of a deal I don't think (I even use them sometimes even with the VCCE head), but the dichroic VCCE filters are more consistent over time. The dichroic module's only advantage to anyone printing black and white is it has an attenuation filter that you can put in the light path which gives you longer exposures if you need them.

Technically the Saunders is a diffusion enlarger unless you use the 35mm mixing box which has a condenser. Ironically, the huge Saunders might just be the best quality 35mm enlarger I've ever used. The quality of prints that come out of it is pretty incredible. Usually though I use my Focomat for 35mm just because it is so convenient and fast.

Hope that helps you.

8. OP
    OP
    Joe Washington

Joe Washington Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for everyones input,
    I guess they are all diffusion modules, its just that you can get a module that only has the white light rather than the VCCE filters or dichroic filter modules.

thanks, i'll keep this in mind but am still hunting for the VCCE, which appears to be worth a few hundred extra than the straight diffusion module.

9. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be very interesting to see the final price that item fetches.

PS there are also versions that have two additional features; a knob to select white light or filtered light; a choice of Kodak or Ilford filtration, which may have limited usefulness today.

11. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since the OP is after the option of white light, this would not be the one to get.

Last month I was looking for a third 4550 VCCE and talked to KHB about the differences. On the downside, parts are not available for these anymore. But on the upside, they use the same filter pack as the current VCCE head and aside from the white light and mostly superfluous K & IF option, work exactly the same. So you can get the filter pack from them for $130 US, part number LPL3271-7170.

I was fine with getting an enlarger with this older VCCE module but settled on a more expensive current one for sale because it was stateside and had the latest regulated power supply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.