Looking for 35mm slr with great viewfinder for poor eyesight

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by sixby45, Nov 30, 2018.

1. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can live with the limited range of focal lengths and don't need particularly close focusing, maybe you would be happier with a rangefinder?

2. John Earley

John Earley Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I purchased an F100 for the reasons you mention. I had recently replaced my Nikon F and after using more modern cameras I was a bit underwhelmed by the viewfinder/focusing. I have an F5 (works great for sports but big) and three N80s but wanted something a bit more lightweight than the F5 and more "substantial" than the N80 so went with the F100. Great eye relief, bright viewfinder and the autofocus is excellent. I no longer pine for an F6. I've wanted to stay with manual focus but at age 71 I find that I get more frames in focus when I let the camera do the work.

3. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, right off the bat, if you have trouble seeing and focusing then find a good autofocus camera that you can work with. Nothing else is going to be as good. I love manual focus but as I age I am absolutely flabbergasted at how sharp the photographs are when I use my Pentax PZ1p, and that camera is not one that you will find listed with the top as far as autofocus is concerned.

However if you, like me, insist on continuing to fool yourself into thinking you can actually focus a manual focus camera then the Pentax LX probably has the best viewfinder of any manual focus camera I have ever used, and I have used a bunch including Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus, etc.

Next, though a fast lens (f/1.4) is a must for getting a clear view when you are focusing, don't ever, ever try to shoot anything at that aperture unless you are interested in proving to yourself just how bad your eyesight really is. Do yourself and everyone else who has to look at your photographs a favor and stop down. F/4 is a good starting point though you really should start living by the little adage "f/8 and be there!"

Finally, if you MUST use a manual focus camera, get rid of your SLR and move to a really good rangefinder. Obviously Leica makes some good ones (they are kind of known for that kind of thing) but the Zeiss Ikon is by far the best for those of us with questionable eyesight.

Once more I will repeat what I already said, bite the bullet and buy an autofocus camera you can live with. Even the worst of these will probably be better than anything you will be able to do a a clear, bright day outdoors.

Now, where did I put that Vivitar V3800n slr again??

EDIT - Of course a nice little 8x10 field camera with a good ground glass and a clear magnifier may also be a good option...

4. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1

5. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1

6. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    F100 I sold mine kept the F5, if you keep fresh lithium battery in a F100 it's a dream of a camera. Only thing I use 35mm for anymore is color slides. The F100 has lighted viewfinder focus points. Auto bracket etc.

I have become totally won over by the Hasselblad Acute-Matte screens for medium format, so bright .

7. thornhill

thornhill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pentax LX with an FC-1 Action Finder. Lots of eye relief. Glasses aren't a problem.

8. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Right on for the Pentax LX. Could be a long wait for the FC-1 Action Finder. And no, mine is not for sale!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.