lens mount for Leica 111f?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Eugene B., Dec 24, 2017.

1. Eugene B.

Eugene B. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Leica 111f but no lens. My question is: what mount size or number would I need for a non Leica lens?
    TIA
    Eugene B.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Leica always used the 39mm diameter screw thread for all models up to and including the 111g. The only exception was the model 1 which had a fixed lens and a leaf shutter. After the 111g the mount was a bayonet. Non Leica lenses include some of the Russian lenses used with Russian Leica copies, but be careful, some of them had an odd rangefinder coupling which could jam the lens on a Leica body if it was fitted. There were also some early ones with a 39mm screw thread, but without the rangefinder coupling. These were designed for the quite primitive Zenith3m reflex and will not work on a rangefinder body because you will not get infinity focus. These are the more common Leica fitting lenses although there are a few others

If you want to stick with Leica lenses they are not that expensive. Look for a F2/50mm Summar or better still a Summitar or for a lot more money an early Summicron. The 50mm 3,5 or 2,8 Elmar is coated is also a very respectable lens. For a telephoto the 90mm F4 Elmar, 135mm F4.5 Hektor. For a wide angle a 35mm F3.5. Summaron Remember you will need a separate viewfinder for these lenses

Other lenses include ones from Canon screw thread rangefinders. There were a few Nikon screw thread lenses but these are quite rare. Later lenses are then ones made under the Voigtlander label (By Cosina) intended for the Voigtlander rangefinder cameras of around year 2000 to around 2005.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Eugene B.

Eugene B. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info: I was looking at FSU lenses on eBay. I thought Leitz lenses would be outside my budget.
    No harm in looking tho'.
    Eugene B.

5. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice camera! Your IIIf lens mount uses a thread of 39mm × 26 tpi (threads per inch or turns per inch). This was a Whitworth standard commonly used in microscope manufacture. Most 39mm lenses made for rangefinder cameras in the mid-20th century will fit and couple to the rangefinder. As BM above wrote, many older Leica lenses are reasonable price, but you did not state your price range. But consider, most 50-year-old lenses do need maintenance unless the previous owner did it, and then he will including in the sales price the cost of this service. If you want modern, the Voigttlander lenses from the 1990s and 2000s, made by Cosina, have modern coatings and will likely be ready to use without needing a cleaning and overhaul. They have an excellent reputation. But I am not sure of availability in Europe. The FSU lenses can be superb or they can be duds. Remember, quality control and material selection were often suspect for Eastern Block consumer goods. An alternative: ask around and bug all your friends and coworkers; someone may have an old thread-mount camera sitting around in a drawer they will let you use/have/take away/abscond. :smile:

7. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    IIIf has LTM or M39 lens mount. Voigtlander (Cosina) has made some and Canon made as well. Not very expensive.

8. Army35mm

Army35mm Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Collapsoble canon serenars run about 100-150 usd, FSU Jupiter 8, a (zeiss sonar 50mm f2 copy) can be had for about 30-50usd, and even collapsible elmars are fairly inexpensive. I myself use a canon serenar 50mm 1.8 that's hazed to all hell and back, but I love it <3 I think I paid 180 for it in korea.

9. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many makers produced LTM 39mm thread lenses, I have a couple of FSU lenses, a couple of Canons, and a Komura, who made a range of lenses forthe Leica cameras, all very good, and FSU lenses, canon's and Komura can be found fairly cheaply, just make sure you get a good viewfinder for different focal length lenses, I have a Voightlander Turnit finder which I use on a few cameras, it covers 35,50 100 and 135 lenses and for 50 is a better option than the Leica viewfinder for 50mm, my Komura 80mm came with it's own matched viewfinder
    Richard

10. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Russian glass may be more common on side of the pound. When I was shooting with a IIIG I had Leica, Canon and Minolta glass. As noted all of these lens are now over 50 years old. Still very sharp of the day, I just printed a few negatives shot the Canon 1.7 50mm, stands up any of my more lens.

11. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Almost any ltm lens will work and many were made Canon, Nikon, and numerous independent lens manufacturers, except, of course, those made for Russian cameras where the flange to film distance was different. Even wide angle lenses Russian lenses will work because of increased depth of field. Since, except for rare collectibles, there is not that big a difference in price between Leica, Canon , Minolta and Nikon and lesser quality lenses, why not just stay with the better lenses. However, be aware that some older Leica lenses can be infected with fungus and older Canon lenses often have a haze so examine your purchases carefully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.