Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
OK, I need some help (or hindrance) here. I have gotten a bug for a Leica. I am looking at an M4 or the much-reviled M5. Any advice? I have a Contax G1 with marvelous lenses, but I am not fond of the viewfinder. I will most probably use the camera for informal (street) shooting with a 35mm lens. The built-in meter on the M5 seems like a plus, but it's a spot meter, so less useful for street photography. I want a reliable camera that can be repaired if necessary.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
M6, has a meter and if needed a winder. Not repairable and more of a collectors camera Konica Hextar in M mount. Much like your Contax G1, built in motor drive, good meter, good build quality and takes all M lens from 28 to 135. Other option are the Cosina line up of M mount bodies.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
Perhaps the M5 was disliked when introduced, but I think it has respect today.

I don't have one (yet), but its size is more to my liking than my M3's or M6's.

Ko.Fe.

Shooter
Digital
It doesn't matter what M5 metering is. I'm as street photog with M experience would prefer M5 exposure meter in VF, but to me just S16 rules.
If you want reliable camera and good on repairs get IIIf with Color Skopar 35 2.5 P and Voigtlander 35mm brightline finder.

summicron1

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
the M5 and CL both have through the lens spot metering, which I REALLY like -- I have two CLs, both with still-working meters, and they are wonderful for shooting because you can quickly take multiple readings around an area without taking your eye from the viewfinder.

The M6 does this also, of course. The M5 is reviled because it doesn't look "like a leica" in the classic sense, but they are solid camera. If you want one, buy one.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
I like to use an M6 with my G1. ...

Is the external viewfinder on your M6 for convenient viewing or does it provide framing that the M6 framelines don't have?

Laurent

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I'm very happy with an M4, including for street. I do mostly B&W, so metering once in a while or when the conditions change is enough, at least for me.

One of the great assets of the M4 is the discretion (no Leica logo or even marking on the front), plus the fact there is only one frame at a time (except for the 135 one but it is so tiny I do not notice it)
And no electronics means no issues.

guangong

Shooter
Medium Format
As a long, long time owner of Leicas from IIIF to M5, for hand comfort and eye comfort I would recommend the M4. I have owned mine since first offered for sale. $400 from Willoughbys, including 50 mm Summicron...but remember these are pre Carter $. Keep in mind that 4 and 5 are last cameras made by Leitz. After that a marketing brand name.
Viewfinder on subsequent cameras such as M6, etc., are not as bright and crisp as 3, 4 and 5 (even old ones that have been maintained). Then there are the leds in later Leicas that disappear in bright light. M5 has match needle.
So for street photography, as well as a lot of other stuff, my vote is for M4.

narsuitus

Shooter
Multi Format
Is the external viewfinder on your M6 for convenient viewing or does it provide framing that the M6 framelines don't have?

The external viewfinder on my M6 is actually the Contax G1 viewfinder for the Zeiss 21mm lens. I use the Contax viewfinder on my M6 when shooting the Leitz 21mm lens because the M6 does not have frame lines for the 21mm focal length. However, there are times when I use the 21mm lenses on the G1 and the M6 without the external viewfinder because I do not have time to mount it.

Contax G1 with 21mm Zeiss
by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Arthurwg

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I've had the M3, M4 and now the M6. Didn't like the much-praised M3 because it needed the goggle gizmo for the 35mm lens. The M4 is a great camera but the M6 is perfect as it functions beautifully and has a great light meter. That would be my choice.

OP
OP
Pieter12

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Update: I ended up with a wonderful M5. Built like a tank. Maybe because I am a newcomer to Leicas, I was surprised that film loading and lens changing is not as easy as the Nikons I have used before. I could do either pretty easily in the camera bag on the run (well maybe not running), mostly by feel. I like that the Leica has the button on the lens and the body to help. There is a tangible sense of the lens engaging and locking that I'm not getting with the Leica. I even feel that changing the lens on my big Rollei 6000. I guess photojournalists that used Leicas had a bodies for various lenses, but changing film still seems fiddly. I'm sure with more time with the camera it will become second nature.

Chan Tran

Shooter
35mm
Update: I ended up with a wonderful M5. Built like a tank. Maybe because I am a newcomer to Leicas, I was surprised that film loading and lens changing is not as easy as the Nikons I have used before. I could do either pretty easily in the camera bag on the run (well maybe not running), mostly by feel. I like that the Leica has the button on the lens and the body to help. There is a tangible sense of the lens engaging and locking that I'm not getting with the Leica. I even feel that changing the lens on my big Rollei 6000. I guess photojournalists that used Leicas had a bodies for various lenses, but changing film still seems fiddly. I'm sure with more time with the camera it will become second nature.
The M5 I think is the most famous Leica for better or worse.

btaylor

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I got an M2 and I love it, but wanted a little more versatility— wider choice of frame lines and a decent built in meter so I added an M5 body. I was intrigued by the departure from the classic M series style, though many people dislike that aspect. It’s a great camera that handles very nicely. Hope you enjoy yours.

Lee Rust

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you want a built-in meter, the M6 fills the bill. No meter, then the M4 or M2. No experience with the M5.

blockend

Shooter
35mm
I was surprised that film loading and lens changing is not as easy as the Nikons I have used before.
The M5 has the later easy load system, previous models were more difficult. Once the film is in the "teeth" of the take up spool it stays there. It's difficult to believe but that's how it works. Once you gain confidence it does what it's supposed to, loading is straightforward.
There is a tangible sense of the lens engaging and locking that I'm not getting with the Leica.
I agree, the lens doesn't click into place like other bayonet mounts. Initially I mistrusted the locking mechanism, but like the film it doesn't seem to fail.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom