Kyoto

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by RattyMouse, Mar 20, 2018.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a great city Kyoto is for photography. I envy the Moose who gets to live here full time. I'd love to see this place in the winter time with the snow, as well as when the sakura blossom. Hotel and flight prices go through the roof during that time.

5 days here in Kyoto and here is the damage done:

[​IMG]

This was my 5th time to Kyoto and I look forward to coming back again.

On another note, do I dare ask for 28 rolls of film to be hand inspected at the airport? If not, they will have gone through 5 scans in total, assuming two for the flight home (domestic flight to Tokyo and then international flight to the US).

I rarely ever ask for film to be inspected, but the Japanese are so kind that I'm wondering if they would hand inspect so many rolls?

2. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi!
    Great haul by the way! And yes, any normal person would never get tired of Japan in general. As for hand inspection, it's safe. Just let is scan, those machines are very safe! (I've let them scan the same number of times as well with no issue). Heck I've even had my film scanned many times in Africa with no issue.

3. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are right. With a connecting flight in Tokyo, I won't have much time to waste to get there on time. I've had film scanned a good dozen times on other trips without issue. I didn't shoot any Delta 3200 during this trip so 400 is my highest speed film.

4. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my fisrt visit to Japan I had time only for Tokyo, but for my second visit I have planned Kyoto as well :smile:.

5. lantau

lantau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a gorgeous sight! I wish I was as productive when traveling. But I'm too inhibited and also too inexperienced in (or genetically incapable) finding and framing good motives.

6. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not as productive as it looks. I brought my Fuji TX-1 panorama camera to Japan. I get 21 shots/ 36 exposure roll or 14 shots/24 exposure roll. All those AgfaPhoto rolls of film in the photo above are 24 exposure rolls.

7. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope you hit Kamakura while you were in Tokyo. It's only 1 hour away and is THE best temple city in the country. Much better than Kyoto IMO.

8. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ratty, next time you come, let me know, maybe we can meet up. So many APUG photographers come here but I have yet to meet any of them!

I would have no problem asking at the airport for them to check the rolls - they do it all the time for me. Just have them in a bag ready to go. Unless the line is crazy busy and you really need to get to your flight I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't worry about the xray full stop, but it's still nice to reduce the number of scans if you can.

I just got back from my 3 week trip to Portugal and Spain and I think my film went through at least 12 scans with all the flights, trains, and places I went to (Spain was the worst - scans at museums like the Prado and Reina Sophia in Madrid, and at the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona - luckily I knew that would happen so brought the minimum number of rolls to minimize the problem). I think I'll try to tackle some of the film developing tomorrow.

As for living in Kyoto, it's funny, I was just talking about that with a friend of mine from work, and we both have come to realize that we don't like travelling to other big tourist cities, especially in high season, since we are so constantly surrounded by tourists here (mostly from mid-March to late November). It's worse for her since she lives downtown, whereas I am far from any tourists, despite living near a World Heritage temple (it's too far south on the tourist map of Kyoto for anyone to go there, and most guidebooks don't mention it). But, as I've mentioned previously, that forces me to explore other areas of the city, which is good, or even in the high volume places, to check them out at different times of day (or weather), which often yields more interesting photographs.

9. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Moose,

I think you were out of town the last time I was here. A friend wants me to take him through Kyoto one day so I should be back at some point, maybe next year.

Which temple do you live near? Manpuku-ji? I've been to that one and it's pretty far south, as well as Daigo-ji, which is in the south if I remember right. I didnt visit either of these temples this trip.

I hope your photographs from Europe come out well!

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a lot of film and a lot of pictures. Nice! Regarding inspection of film you might want to minimize the hassle and segregate the higher speed film for a hand inspection request and put the rest through the carryon scanner.

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm envious, in a positive way! I'd love to see (live in!) Kyoto! How I wish we could have met up and done some shooting there.

I've taken 400 speed (and higher) film through multiple airport X-rays in Asia and Japan. No damage, so long as it's carry-on. Never ever fly your film in checked baggage!

12. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The two weeks I spent in Kyoto this last December was great. Fall colors were basically gone and they took most of the toursits with them. Still some stunning ginkos downtown and a few maples doing their thing at the temples and shrines. My son had an apartment near Kyoto University (but was attending a different univesity) and was a good place to explore from. Alex took me to a lot of nice little places to eat, we stopped by a jazz club one evening --it had the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers painted on the outside, so I knew it would be cool! I think I only exposed 5 or 6 rolls of 120 in Kyoto (Acros) and probably the same on the second half of the trip to Yakushima.

If Alex ends up in Japan for grad school (95% possibility, but he still has a year left as an undergrad), I'll be visiting!

13. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, let me know! I live just north of Daigo-ji, although I have to admit I haven't been there in a while. I like going there to do film tests (same with Nanzenji) since it's an atmospheric place with lots of different things and light to photograph, and I'm allowed to set up a tripod there (or at least not have to worry about tourists tripping over it!). Now that my work schedule is a bit lighter this year I hope to get out and explore more off-the-beaten track places here in the city.

Colin, you should definitely come to Kyoto - I think you would love it here!

Let me know if you do, it would be great to meet! Actually, I was thinking that with all the people that like (or want) to come here, we should have a future Photrio Symposium here. :wink:

14. howardpan

howardpan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If we hold a Photorio Sumposium in Kyoto, I’m there

15. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip. Then it will be this way by the train: Yokohama, Kamakura, Kyoto.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.