Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Medium Format
I just installed a second hand Kreolab darkroom sink. It's working well from a mechanical point. All the faucets work and it's not leaking. However I can't seem to figure out the temp regulator. It just doesn't really seem to respond to turning it to hot or cold. Does anyone have any tips for me regarding this?

Also how often am I supposed to change out the filters?

I can't figure Kreolab instructions anywhere so I figured someone here would know!

Thanks!

bascom49

Shooter
Medium Format
There may be a replaceable temperature control valve. It’s a springy looking thing inside the housing. It’s made of “unobtainium”. It may possibly be calcified and could be cleaned.

frobozz

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I had a similar setup with a Kreonite sink. The temp control faucet was just completely crudded up inside and then had sat for years. The housing internals were too corroded to fix it with replacement parts, so I ended up replacing the whole thing. In my case it was a commercially available valve still being made (or a newer variant with the same specs) so I found a local distributor and bought a new one. It was crazy expensive, over $600 if I recall correctly. It works perfectly, quite a clever device!

Duncan

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Figure out who actually made the valve. Most of these are repairable. I've rescued a couple of these. Soaking the parts in vinegar or citric acid, and carefully cleaning will pay off.

One note Delta and others make shower thermostatic valves. These are less than a hundred bucks, you will need to figure out a thermometer.
We had one installed in our shower, I set temperature at 108F, it holds it perfectly. I never touch the temp just turn it out and bam it's at 108F.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
We just bought a new Kreonite sink with a tempered water control, we didn't get any instructions with the valve and the inline thermometer is on the opposite side of the sink (it's a walk around, poor control layout), that said the valve appears to be either a Delta or Moen shower unit. It works best when the incoming cold water is ten degrees cooler than the desired output and the incoming hot water is 10 degrees hotter than the desired output. So if you want to operate in the range of 68-100 degrees F, your cold should be roughly 60 degrees and your hot roughly 110 degrees (all temps in the Fahrenheit scale). Fancy water mixing panels have pressure gauges on bot the pre and post filter water, when the output pressure drops you change your filters. Your Kreonite mixing panels most likely does not have this sort of "deluxe" design, so change the filters at six months, observe the old filters, if they aren't too junked up change the second set at a year. For most city water that should be fine.

frobozz

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
OK I found the docs for the valve I bought. It's a Powers HydroGuard E427:

http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/product_full.asp?pid=473

http://media.wattswater.com/ES-P-e427.pdf

A Delta shower mixing valve will simply blend two streams of water in the ratio you set with the handle. The reason the valves like the HydroGuard that originally came with the Kreonite sink cost 6 times as much is because they are actually maintaining a temperature even in the face of changing water pressures, temperatures, etc.

Duncan

tomkatf

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
You might try here for parts/service, I believe they basically took over all of Kreonite's remaining stock, molds, etc.: www.dunningphoto.com
I recently resurrected my old Kreonite sink which had been sitting for around 20 yrs and was completely crudded up and leaked from about half the fittings due to hardened seals, hoses, etc. They were very helpful and provided me with several pieces that were not available anywhere else. I think I got the last existing NOS water filter top plate gasket... $12.95!... I dealt with Jeff... HTH!
Tom

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I have had a 8 foot Kreonite sink for close to 35 years, it was used when I got it. We moved about 6 years ago. I figured it was done for, I left it out in the snow over the winter. When it came to leaving it behind I just couldn't do it. Thank goodness. It's up and good as new. Has a drain trough at the back to dump trays. A little spillway of sorts that allows you to float your trays in tempered water. I'm on my third, and best improvised stand. I paid 20 bucks for it from a friend who dragged it out of an old manufacturing plant.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
OK I found the docs for the valve I bought. It's a Powers HydroGuard E427:

http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/product_full.asp?pid=473

http://media.wattswater.com/ES-P-e427.pdf

A Delta shower mixing valve will simply blend two streams of water in the ratio you set with the handle. The reason the valves like the HydroGuard that originally came with the Kreonite sink cost 6 times as much is because they are actually maintaining a temperature even in the face of changing water pressures, temperatures, etc.

Duncan
The better shower valves are thermostatic. https://www.deltafaucet.com/design-innovation/innovations/shower/tempassure-valve--monitor-valve

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You might try here for parts/service, I believe they basically took over all of Kreonite's remaining stock, molds, etc.: www.dunningphoto.com
I recently resurrected my old Kreonite sink which had been sitting for around 20 yrs and was completely crudded up and leaked from about half the fittings due to hardened seals, hoses, etc. They were very helpful and provided me with several pieces that were not available anywhere else. I think I got the last existing NOS water filter top plate gasket... $12.95!... I dealt with Jeff... HTH!
Tom
These are the guys we bought our NEW Kreonite sink and enlarger stations from. The only difference from the old ones is that the new sinks are gray not green.

Shooter
35mm
As of 11/21 dunningphoto closed part of the business concerning sink fixtures. Steve did answer the number given above and offered to help if he could. Thank you for this thread.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom