Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
I just bought a Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7 which has a Kodak Supermatic No.2 shutter. It's old so I do expect some issues. First thing I noticed that the "B" and "T" settings don't work while the other shutter speeds seem to be fine. I also noticed that the shutter doesn't have focus lever to keep the lens open so I could focus with the ground glass. I did find the self-timer which is sluggish but it does work. Am I missing something or the lens is off of a camera that is a rangefinder which doesn't need the lens open for focusing. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Jim Jones

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
For years I used a Ektar 203mm f/7.7 in a shutter without a focus lever. Setting the shutter to time was a nuisance, but served well enough. You might find a later shutter that is more convenient, or just use it like it is.

OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
For years I used a Ektar 203mm f/7.7 in a shutter without a focus lever. Setting the shutter to time was a nuisance, but served well enough. You might find a later shutter that is more convenient, or just use it like it is.
Ah. So there is no focus lever. Thanks! But the "B" and "T" Settings don't work. The shutter doesn't stay open :sad:. Do you have a fix? I might have to send it in.

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
Cat man, pardon my ignorance. Does y'r Supermatic #2 have a button on the side? If so, that's the press focus button. To use, cock the shutter, press the button down and hold it, and fire the shutter. IIRC, recock to close.

OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
AFAIK, there isn't one. But I'm going to try to post a pic of the shutter later in the day.

I appreciate your help!

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

All of the he early (and that's most) British made 203mm f7.7 Ektars were in Mount 370 Kodak Epsilon shutters and then Prontor SVS shutters, neither have preview levers, later they were in Synchro Compur #0 shutter and few in the very last updated Synchro Compurs. Actually all UK made 203mm Ektars are Mount 370 all that means is they fit a #0 Compur/Copal ect comparible shutter

I'm quite lucky I bought a very late US made 203mm Ektar here on this Forum 2 or 3 years ago and it's in a Graphic Compur #1, they are quite rare but the best US version of the lens.

Ian

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Go to https://www.butkus.org/chinon/repair_manuals/kodak_repair_books.htm and request the Kodak Flash Supermatic repair manual.
The Supermatic has no flash sync, the Flash Supermatic has M/F flash sync, the Supermatic X has only X flash sync. All are the same otherwise.
Medalist and Monitor Six 20 cameras do not have the Press to Focus feature on their Supermatic shutters.

OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
image.jpeg
Here's a picture of the lens. I can find the focus lever.

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
If you want to try getting the B&T functions working remove the lens cells then the screws under the D of Kodak and over the U of supermatic. The cover should lift off, later versions had one screw and turned counter clockwise until the ears aligned with the slots in the center collar.
Once the face is removed lift the speed selector ring off noting its orientation.
cover removed copy.jpg speed dial removed copy.jpg cover plate removed copy.jpg
Loosen the screw at A 1/4 to 1/2 turn and disengage the spring from the trip lever. Gently work the trip lever arm off the shutter body, it pivots but cannot be separated from the lever.
Remove the 3 screws B, lengths may vary so note their positions.
Lift the top cover off to expose the shutter setting, release, delay, and T&B levers at C.
Each lever has its own spring and is a stacked assembly in conjunction with the trip lever.
Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. The trip lever spring at A is positioned half way between the lever arm and center collar, screw tightened, then the end hooked on the trip lever arm.
When installing the speed ring ensure no pin or lever end is underneath it and it moves freely the full range of the speeds. Install the cover and secure with its screws.

OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
If you want to try getting the B&T functions working remove the lens cells then the screws under the D of Kodak and over the U of supermatic. The cover should lift off, later versions had one screw and turned counter clockwise until the ears aligned with the slots in the center collar.
Once the face is removed lift the speed selector ring off noting its orientation.
View attachment 212048 View attachment 212049 View attachment 212047
Loosen the screw at A 1/4 to 1/2 turn and disengage the spring from the trip lever. Gently work the trip lever arm off the shutter body, it pivots but cannot be separated from the lever.
Remove the 3 screws B, lengths may vary so note their positions.
Lift the top cover off to expose the shutter setting, release, delay, and T&B levers at C.
Each lever has its own spring and is a stacked assembly in conjunction with the trip lever.
Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. The trip lever spring at A is positioned half way between the lever arm and center collar, screw tightened, then the end hooked on the trip lever arm.
When installing the speed ring ensure no pin or lever end is underneath it and it moves freely the full range of the speeds. Install the cover and secure with its screws.
I really appreciate this! This will give me the courage to dive in and CLA my shutter. I'll have to do it during my Xmas break.

Cheers!
Don

puderse

Shooter
35mm
I've one of these in a baggie if you need parts. I got in over my head. All there but completely dis-assembled. I'll send it to anyone if you cover postage.

SID

OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
I've one of these in a baggie if you need parts. I got in over my head. All there but completely dis-assembled. I'll send it to anyone if you cover postage.

SID
Hey thanks for the offer! You're so generous. Let's hope I don't end of with a bag of parts :sad:

If I do, I'll PM ya.

Best,
Don

OP
OP
Mainecoonmaniac
Shooter
Multi Format
The Supermatic may not have the spring at A and the arm on the trip lever as its for flash contact switching so skip the step if its not there.
Great! Thanks for telling me.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom