Kodak Panoram No. 4 Model D

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by tlarson, Jul 10, 2015.

1. tlarson

tlarson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just received my No. 4 Panoram Model D in the mail today.

Is there a way that I can clean the lens in this cameras? It looks a little cloudy when I look through the back when pressing the shutter.

Also, has anyone every run 120 film through on of these cameras? I would assume that you would only get a couple of exposures from a roll.

I appreciate any suggestions!

2. karl

karl Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    There was a shop in Tasmania or NZ that was doing 120 conversions on the No. 4 Panorams. The No. 4 I have had an older rough attempt at just such a thing. I thought about cutting down 11x14 Ilford Direct Positive paper or FP4+, but never got around to it.

Yes, 2 shots a roll with 120 film.

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if it is like mine, it is a simple meniscus lens you can probably clean with a Q-tip. just stop the lens during its swing and reach in.

I have a No. 1-D that gets 4 shots to a roll of 120.

4. europanorama

europanorama Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    It seems i had such a cam for short testing. lens was bad. but i could load 120. i have instructions how to transport film.
    i would get a noblex 150F, there is one on ebay.

5. James Guerin

James Guerin Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I've got a 3a and am using 4x10 inch xray film in it (cut down from 8x10). I'm not super happy with the simple meniscus lens and I've been trialing a few lenses from Surplus shed..meniscus, achromat, double convex, plano convex or various focal lengths close to the original 133mm. I'm hoping the one I have installed now will yield a sharper image...waiting on having time to test..
    The nice thing about the design is that it can be adjusted for optimum focus, and will accept lenses of the designed for focal length +/- a few mm's.
    I'm shooting ''one-shot'' and using changing bag in the field to re-load. Here's an image from the original lens..

Attached Files:

6. europanorama

europanorama Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Kodak Panoram 1 D not 4 D: Be aware!
    67x 179mm image
    How to transport with 120 film=4 images
    Picture 1- Image-counter must show 2.1. 1 means first point after image-number (not 1 for image 1 but the one i mention here)
    Pic 2- 6.1
    Pic 3- 10.1
    Pic 4- 14.1
    will post also in a separate thread. dont have the camera only tested.

7. James Guerin

James Guerin Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Another from my Panoram 3A.. I'm not happy with the lens though in fairness it is 80 years old! I've made some simple washers stops (water house stops) in f22,f32 and f45 so as to improve the sharpness somewhat.
    I'm currently working on fitting a 135mm repromaster lens... it's alot of work but I think it'll be a really nice setup. I'm shooting x-ray film cut down from 8x10 to 4x10 so very economical..though loading one shot is a pain.
    aug 2017002s.jpg

8. James Guerin

James Guerin Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Update... I had a hard time fitting the repromaster and went for a smaller lens... a kodak anistigmat from a six-16 camera... it seems more fitting to use a kodak lens. So the newer 126mm lens performs much better than the old meniscus. I had to do some fairly heroic mods to the camera including offsetting the film plane closer to the lens. This mean't cutting out the old one and making a new one and gluing into position.
    Anyway, it worked. Here's a test.. 126mm006s.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.