JOBO CPA2 Problem

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by amellice, Feb 4, 2018.

1. amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I've Jobo CPA2 and it was working fine, while I was doing some RA4 prints today, suddenly the drum stopped rotating. The pump works fine, heating works fine, it's just the motor stopped working suddenly. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. mpirie

mpirie Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You will need to remove the cover from the motor and check the fuses on the controller board.

While you are in there, try cleaning out the motor with some contact cleaner, it sounds like the load on the motor may have blown the fuse.

Do not attempt if you are not comfortable working around electricity !!

3. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    How old is your unit? The motor fuse is the first thing to check. I have a very old CPA2 (~30 years old or more) and the motor would just randomly stop working. I had to rebuild all the electronics changing all the active components and all the capacitors.

4. OP
    OP
    amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not really sure, I'm the second owner...

5. OP
    OP
    amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll give this a try, but I'm not good with electricity so if something not obvious righaway I wouldn't do it, what would be my other options? I live in California

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, check the serial # on your CPP - if it is below 22,000, you're likely to be due for a motor replacement, as the older models are known to have weaker motors that can't handle the weight of an Expert drum with chemistry inside. I had that happen to me with an older CPA, but it was a much more gradual decline - the motor would rotate unevenly, losing speed and picking it up again depending on the direction of rotation. That yours stopped abruptly sounds like it is a different issue, but it is still worth checking out. Also, contact CatLabs of JP - they're the Jobo distributors in the US, and they've been very helpful with troubleshooting problems when I've reached out to them.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I have used Dave Smith in South Pasadena for help with my Jobo. I highly recommend him. He also has a supply of tank, reels and drums. http://www.darkroomdoctor.com/

8. OP
    OP
    amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, I was mistaken, it's CPA and the serial number is 13459 which according to this website http://www.jobo-usa.com/resources/faq/18-why-are-jobo-cpa2-cpp2-serial-numbers-important has the second motor upgrade

9. OP
    OP
    amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your suggestion, he is 6 hours from my place in Dublin, but certainly an option.. But if anyone knows someone in the bay area, I'd love that

10. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not related to Jobo motors, but you might consider changing your profile location from "New York City, USA" to "Dublin, California." :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks for pointing that out :smile:

12. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're very welcome. It's good to know where posters are located; that information frequently provides valuable context when replying.

13. OP
    OP
    amellice

amellice Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all, just want to let you know that I fixed the machine, it turns out to be a bad fuse.. It was as simple as replacing it.. However, somehow the motor speed is not fixed on P (I think) and I lost control on changing the speed, I turn the knob on different speeds but the motor rotate at constant speed, does anyone know what maybe wrong?

14. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Send a email to Catlabs These folks are US tech service for Jobo. These folks have been very helpful to me on issues with a CPP2. Maybe something simple.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.