Jobo ATL-3000 drum motor test fail?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Craig, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Jobo ATL-3000 and when I turned it on tonight it went through the self test test, as always. Instead of passing, it stops when it gets to the drum motor test and tells me "Error in test". The gears go around, and I put an empty drum in the machine and it turns it, so the motor clearly is working. With the lift arm raised, the transfer gears turn smoothly.

Ideas of what has gone wrong? Of course it worked just fine last time I used it.

2. OP
    OP
    Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can answer my own question now, for future reference in the archives.

I took the machine apart and removed the motor. Bench tested it and it seemed to work fine, but I cleaned it up and put in new grease. I also cleaned the contacts where it plugs into the circuit board, as those contacts were dirty. Put it all together and ran the self test and now it works! The drum does turn quite a bit more in the self test than it did previously. I'm quite happy it didn't need any parts.

3. albertphot

albertphot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Graig, did you take photos of how you took apart the motor? I had the same problem once and had to change the ATL 3000 for another ( new motors were way to expensive a couple of years ago)
    Thanks!

4. OP
    OP
    Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took some. I followed the instructions in the 2 Jobo bulletins (B005B and B006) and it was fairly straight forward. I mainly took photos of all the connections at the 3 circuit boards that needed to be disconnected and the boards removed.