Japan tourist souvenir photo album

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by slackercrurster, Nov 28, 2018.

1. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Part of the popular 'customs and costumes' series that were sold to tourists as mementos. Pasted hand-colored albumen prints on thick paper based board mounted in album with painted and inlaid wood covers. Acquired with detached pages and covers. Rough hand-coloring. Measure about 5 x 7 inches, but don't have it handy for exact measurements. (In storage locker.)

I wonder how much the albums sold for back in the day?

Anyone have an idea as to date?

https://japancustomscostumes.wordpress.com/2018/11/11/japanese-tourist-souvenir-photo-album/

A couple photos are missing as WordPress refused to upload. Then when I tried to keep forcing them to upload, WP took down my site for a time. Who knows why they do this. Full series is on Internet Archive.

This is a pain to scan. No cushy sheet fed scanner for this. Most pages had an overlay sheet protector to deal with.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. 4season

4season Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
  3. OP
    OP
    slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Good detective work.

I was excited about the NYPL link for a digital source of material. I was surprised. A lot of what they have is not free if you want hi-res. Many digital libraires offer hi-res or medium-res for free.

Look at their fee chart, they must be in competition with Getty Images.

https://www.nypl.org/help/get-what-you-need/photographic-services/obtaining-images

To bad, they had a lot of items I was interested in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.