Issue with Epson V850 Scan Software 3.9.3.2 (Win10/64 bit)?

Discussion in 'Scanning and Scanners' started by MEB, May 20, 2018.

1. MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using the Epson scan software with my V850 scanner since earlier this year without issues but since the latest Win 10 (64 bit) update the software suddenly tends not to respond anymore and requires reboot of the system to start all over. I already re-installed the 3.9.3.2 scan software without solving this issue and didn't find any specific help about this online yet either. My SilverFast 8 software works without issues. Anybody else observing the same?

2. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It runs fine on my XPS8500. Do you use any maintenance utilities?

3. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you mean programs like Norton etc - no. I use the Windows internal maintenance programs - but I doubt this is related. I believe the issue is connected to the Windows Updates in April which were a bunch of system updates. The Epson software always starts but after a few scans it is suddenly no longer responding. This never happened before - even the software is not specifically made for Win10 (even I wish Epson would finally release an update!), it was working fine until recently. I didn't install any other program or scanner software either.

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I run Advanced System Care https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php and occasionally CCleaner https://www.ccleaner.com/ Microsoft calls them "snake oil" but they help.

Windows has some builtin utilities that fix problems that cause programs such as Epson scan not to run properly. They are System File checker and Deployment Image and Maintenance Tool. They are run from the command line of Administrator Command Prompt.
    The syntax is:
    sfc /scannow
    and
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    run sfc up to 3 times in succession to fix problems then dism.
    These can be verified on microsofts support site.
    The problem you are experiencing is in Windows not epsonscan.

The easiest way to get an administrator command prompt is to right click the start button.
    Will not harm your computer, will likely fix it.

The latest Windows system upgrade installed correctly on 2 of my 3 computers but the 3rd I had to manually delete the update files and redownload them.

5. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I googled again with a different order of keywords and found this link - clearly seems to show that many scanner issues came up after this Windows Creator Update:
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-scanner-not-working-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

I just tried the sfc/scannow thingy, and my PC has no issues.
    Also ran the DISM link, no component store corruption detected (checkhealth)
    Ran the DISM RestoreHealth thingy now, too (operation completed successfully - whatever it did?) - thanks for the hint!

I really despise these kind of Windows updates...they do more harm than helping.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I run those utilities in safe mode with networking also to ensure everything is good.
    Drive booster https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php solved some slow startup problems for me.
    The creators update was a year ago and some drivers supplied by Windows driver store are old. The problem may be in the USB controller which will show good in device manager or similar component in the computer that uses a separate driver.

Once Windows has been verified to not be corrupt and all drivers are up to date its time to contact Epson support with an accurate description of the failure(s).

7. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tried the Epson scanner software again, and the program stopped responding after 4 out of 12 slides were scanned. So the issue remains.

8. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A few years ago similar happened with my V700 and Win10 64 bit. About a month or two later after a bug fix in Microsoft's monthly update the problem went away.

If doing some serious scanning I turn the internet OFF, by disabling the lan connection in Windows or unplugging the cable from the router. Background services can start running and disrupt the scanning as it sees the computer as being idle.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I intend to do now - waiting for the next MS update to fix the update.....I hope they do since many seem to have scanner-related issues after the most recent one. Still a pain in the neck.

10. kevin70

kevin70 Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    My V700 started to warm up too often during scanning then epson scan started to freeze - restart and it's scanner not connected so i moved it over to my Imacon win 7 PC that is for scanning only, and absolutely no problems there . . so i have a V850 pro that is almost useless at the moment - done all the things i can find in google - might try removing the cable next time

11. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've had two problems in the past after a Windows Update that were corrected in Settings, lock screen changed background picture - settings showed my choice but a different one was selected and grayed out when the list of options was opened, the programer's setting was in use not mine. Audacity would not recognize any microphone, a privacy setting had changed that I did not change. Windows feature updates always disables my Windows 7 installation and I have to reinstall it. No help in Windows Support or HowToGeek.com for your scanner problem. SO with the scanner connected and turned on
    1. right click the start button and select Device Manager
    2. right click the scanner in the list (expand as necessary) and select Update Drivers
    3. Select Brows My Computer for driver software
    4. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    5. Highlight the latest driver (or the one you want to use / try) then click Next, that driver will be installed for that device.

This may not solve the problem but it won't hurt.
    I have a V700 on Win 10 and Plustek 7600i on Win 7 on this computer and a V500 on a different Win 10 computer.

12. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for confirming this Epson scanner software issue....for now I totally switched to Silverfast 8 as scanning software since it runs without causing any issues. I doubt it is specifically a scanner driver related thing (I reinstalled the latest Epson scanner driver without making a difference) - it is some bad Win10 interaction with this Epson based software related to the latest Win10 update(s).

13. kevin70

kevin70 Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    I got an updated version through their website of the silverfast software that came with the V850 and googled some more and noted that it relied on the driver/s supplied by Epson for the operating system - so i turned to Vuescan and it is a nasty $89 US for the full version and i had a good look at the various vids and noted you cannot batch scan like you can on epson scan - i really like the simple straight forward controls = levels and sometime curve tool use - looks like i'll wait until they get off their backsides to fix it - i have contacted epson it's not even a month old looks like more phone calls

14. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even the issue I mentioned in the OP seems clearly MS related, I agree that Epson should release an update for its Epson scan software. The software was developed up to Win 7 and is no longer up to the Windows 10/64 bit standard of most PCs. For the price of a new V850 scanner this should be really improved by Epson! I am sure Epson receives lots of complaints now - I hope it doesn't take them too long to release a free scan software update.

15. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update: Today I received an automatic update information from Epson that a new driver for my V850 scanner is available. I downloaded and installed it - since then the above mentioned issue has disappeared. The Epson Scan software works smoothly again without freezing in the scan process. Also SilverFast 8 works fine with the new driver. I am pretty sure that Epson finally realized that the old driver wasn't working well with the latest Win10 system update.

16. kevin70

kevin70 Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    forgot to post - it stopped freezing etc. a while back i figured a Microsoft update but if it starts again i will head to Epson

17. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It still did on my computer even after the latest MS updates. Only the new driver resolved it so far - glad it also works for you!

18. kevin70

kevin70 Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    ok i ran the updater, got the new driver then removed the updater and the 2 other never used programs - then noticed epsonscan running in services - hang on... i'm not scanning why is it there - boom - set it to manual start - i will do some scanning tomorrow

19. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any issues I should be aware of on my V600 running with Win 10?

20. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only downloaded the driver, not the other offered event program. I kept the Epson updater program installed.

21. OP
    OP
    MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the Epson Scan software works with your V600, you don't need to worry. The issue here discusses that with the former scan driver, the Epson Scan program froze randomly with the V850 after Microsoft released the bigger April system update for Win10.

22. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No new drivers for V700 or V500.

23. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There should not be. I use a V500 which seems to be pretty well almost bomb proof. I originally bought it when I was using Windows XP. I then changed my computer and it loaded onto Windows 7 and now is running quite well on Windows 10. As the V600 is a later model it should work as intended.

The only difference (little) is it does not like being switched on before the computer. If you switch it on before the computer, the computer will not recognise it even when that is ready to run. The computer MUST be up and running first before the scanner, other wise it won't work .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.