is photography supposed to be reality ?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnantz, Sep 30, 2018.

is a photograph supposed to be reality ?

This poll will close on Feb 15, 2046 at 7:14 PM.
  1. yes

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. no

58 vote(s)
    80.6%
  1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I did not like it in 1839 either. Just because it can be done does not make it right. After all I could push someone off a cliff, but that would not make it right, even in 1839.

2. OP
    OP
    jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so having artistic license and removing something via lead pencil cuting and pasting retouching is a NO NO
    but heavy artistic liscence via tonal representation ( color palet of film ) contrast and grain manipulation ( film type and processing )
    and burning+dodging + enlargement of a negative ( the evil twin of cropping ) are allowed ?

its nice ot have rules to impose on yourself .. but your arbitrary rules &c have nothing to do with apug or photrio &c.

3. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Given today's digital technology, you don't know if something has been added/removed or not. Why not just judge the image on it's own terms without quizzing the photographer about what he did or didn't do.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  4. eddie

eddie Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no problem grasping your concept. APUG no longer exists, so neither does it's standard. Where do you draw the line on "reality"? Does spotting a cigarette butt out of a scene count? Does hand-coloring a violet sky which didn't exist cross a line? I don't see why photography should be held to a higher (or lower) standard than the other visual arts. It would make it a lesser art form, as it would remove creativity from the hands of the photographer, instead insisting on some truth which was really never there.

5. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What standard is the photography standard? Can you point me to it? I missed it somewhere along the way. And I have never heard of an APUG standard. Point me to that one as well.

6. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why all this bickering?

7. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Because other visual arts starts with a blank canvas or a hunk of clay that is imagined and shaped into something that wasn't there before. Photography was traditionally something the camera froze - a moment in time where you started with something in the world already created. Today, viewers ask if the damn photo was photoshopped because they're not sure it was even taken with a camera.

8. OP
    OP
    jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the equivilant of the lump of clay or blank sheet of canvas you mention
    is an unexposed sheet of film or paper or whatever .. and if i want to make something with it/ them i will ..
    and again i find it to be arbitrary to say it is OK to retouch a pimple off of a beauty queen's face
    or use selective focus or specialized processing or printing techniques but not allow other "stuff"

as they say YMMV .. :laugh:
    btw this thread wasn't supposed to be the same old same old digi v ana thread .. its too bad it took that turn :sad:
    cause the camera that choses its own reality i am using is from about 1910 :cry:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. markjwyatt

markjwyatt Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure I am hearing that. Clouds were added back in the 1800s, remember (in 1910 too :D )?

10. OP
    OP
    jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yups

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    That is not what I said or meant and you know it. We have exchanged posts on this many times.

Someone can not remember who said what from one day to the next. What can one do?

12. OP
    OP
    jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes we have had this conversation many many times before
    and your line in the sand between what is allowed and not allowed
    is ( to me at least ) arbitrary ... retouching a blemish or crows feet or a mole or laugh lines
    is permitted but dodging a tree or shrub isn't ? using other darkroom methods
    like contrast enhancement, color palet enhancement &c through processing/printing
    IS allowed but dropping in a orthochromatic negative with clouds on it isn't ?
    seems like its all the same thing and kind of absurd ...

but whatever ,,, as long as you don't impose your strange line in the sand to restrain others
    from doing "stuff" thats fine by me LOL

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  13. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Chainsaw is a man's way...I tend to lay dead branches on ferns in the foreground, or perhaps tie back a branch with parachute cord (rare).

Include or do not include what one wishes. Keep the litter as part of the scene, remove the litter, or move the camera to have the litter outside of one's frame. All the same. The choice is the photographer's, based on his/hers wish for an image.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES but i use an axe, i hope that is ok :smile: chainsaws and dichromate bleach give me the willies ..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.