iPhone App for Recording Exposure Data & Field Notes

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by JDW22, Mar 14, 2018.

1. JDW22

JDW22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope this is the correct location for this inquiry? If not, please move to the most appropriate forum.

I'm looking for recommendations for iPhone apps that will allow me to record my exposure data while in the "field". Heretofore, I've been trying to use the excellent "Analogbook", but for a variety of reasons I am not adept or consistent at writing things down while making photographs. That being said, I always have my iPhone in my back pocket and a good app would be most helpful as I try to keep exposure data and field notes for future reference.

Any recommendations or comments are sincerely appreciated.

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out this thread
    I've not used it, but it might be what you're looking for.

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tried the Iphone app Pocket Light Meter? It records exposure settings and GPS coordinates too. It also allows you to make notes at the bottom of the log.
    IMG_4041.JPG

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have that App and have occasionally used it. It could be particularly handy if one is traveling over distances off-road as a way to record wherever-the-heck that watchamacallit was when I took the shot.

When I went back to B&W darkroom photography in 2006 I was very obsessive about recording data. I began with a small spiral bound notebook which I found a pain, especially in wet and/or windy conditions. I then went to a candy bar sized voice recorder. Transcribing it to something else later at home was occasionally tedious, but in the field it was easy to make free-format notes, even more journal-like in style. These days, I believe most smartphones have a similar function. But all that said, after ten years or so, finding I seldom refer to the exposure data, I have become way less obsessive about recording it; generally only doing it for some unusually technical exercise.

5. Michael W

Michael W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could use the pocket light meter app which will make an image of the scene incl GPS data, kelvin scale, exposure value and its suggestion of ISO, shutter and aperture. When saving this there is also the option to add your own notes. This is then save as an image in your camera roll, so if you want text that can later be copied and amended it might not appeal.

6. adamfowler

adamfowler Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently wrote an iPhone app Viewfinder Preview that can be used in this manner. The app's main purpose is for previewing framing of images, so you don't have to get your big camera out, a bit like a director's viewfinder. But the app also includes a lightmeter and a journal feature. Every image you take with the app stores lightmeter info, and you can add notes to them. You can also create albums in the journal to group photos in projects or maybe even just to group images from one roll of film together. You can find the app here https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1216484605?mt=8

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Iphone apps are great. There's the free Light Meter app which you could log too. It allows you to take a picture of the scene as well as log exposure. It will also take GPS coordinates. Light Meter will put the log into your iphone photo album. If you wish to take it further, you can import the pictures into Evernote on your phone to augment the log. The great part of Evernote is that you can sync the notes to other devices.

8. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am going to start a similar thread but for Android. So if you know of any apps like those above please add to the thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.