inspiration, where are you finding it ?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnanian, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    as i write this post i think about all sorts of thing. family, friends, good times, bad time
    waking up in the morning and seeing the sun through the clouds as a yellow dot, the moon and
    the overlooked stuff like the clogged downspout and my last meal.

im not sure about anyone else but the past IDK year has been the weirdest few years in my memory
    i didn't live through the 60s or eat bad sushi all i have to say is its easy to get disillusioned

how do you stay positive, focused ( or unfocused ) and inspired to make whatever kind of photographs
    you want to make? sometimes its really hard to step back or see the forest through the trees and make
    meaningful photographs.

thanks !

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
  3. wy2l

wy2l Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find inspiration in Kodak. Stock up 3X (300%) in two days! Someone must know something I do not.

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I take a long view of things. When something is happening I ask myself, will this negatively affect me in 5 years? If the answer is no or more than likely very little I ignore whatever it was. If you are just living day to day or news cycle to news cycle your life would seem to be like a cork on a stormy ocean. The unfortunate thing is most people spend most of their time doing what is stress relieving rather than what is goal achieving.

More specific to photography I try and find at least one thing per day that really gets me excited about life. Then if possible I try and figure out a way to convey that photographically.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About half of what I photograph is from the perspective of a self-appointed historian/archivist.

I know the landscape, cities, and towns will change (usually for the worse) and I want to capture them as they are now.

7. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Photograph your PASSIONS. For me, it's classic cars & city-scapes. And, of course, getting a new lens or camera or whatever to shoot with.

8. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oddly, I find my recent bout of inspirations from sketching books. Even though it's all drawing based artwork (pencil, pen, oil paintings), it really inspires me to continue shooting on my own current project.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same places as I've always found it - light, colour, texture, people.

10. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Many artists produce their best work during times of stress and/or depression. Happiness isn't usually good for art (though each artist is different, so there are plenty of exceptions to be had). I know that I create my best art when I'm feeling the need to express myself. When my life is going great and I'm happy, I tend not to focus on art and instead just enjoy the moments at hand. When my life turns sour, I turn to art to express why I'm feeling that way. Art is my tool for dealing with hard times. Art allows me to approach my problems from a third person perspective, disassociate myself with the pain, and reexamine the situation more logically and poetically. Without art, I tend to get tunnel vision, and focus on the good and bad without greater perspective. So if you feel that the world (or your world) isn't headed in a good direction, and it's effecting your photography, then maybe that's your brain's (or soul's) way of telling you to photograph something else. Try exploring your issues and concerns through the lens. Don't use photography as an escape, but rather use it as a door to dive deeper into the pain, so you may come away with understanding instead of distraction.

As for inspiration in aesthetics, styles, pallets, and pretty much anything other than themes (cause life provides those well enough), I tend to gravitate towards paintings, music, movies, literature, and graphic design. Basically, any art that isn't photography. I've seen a million photographs in my life, and most look pretty much identical to each other in my eyes. Sure, some people do it better than others, but I rarely come across a photographer who stands out as truly revolutionary to me. Even some of the hottest fine art photographers out there, such as Andreas Gursky, Edward Burtynsky, and Alec Soth don't inspire me to pick up a camera all that much. Don't get me wrong, I love their work! They're great artists! But as much as I love them, I don't find their work as inspiring as works from artists of other disciplines. Currently, I'm finding my inspiration in painters from the New Leipzig School painters, especially Neo Rauch. But I do have a background in painting and music, so that might account for my unusual (in the photography world) tastes.

11. Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My photography centers around where I take my dog for a walk. As I discover new walking trails I discover new scenery. If I get stuck and go someplace I've been to a million times before I bring my macro lens and forgo the landscapes in favour of the tiny little worlds that exist in my macro lens. If I get really stuck I buy a new camera.

12. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's good advice- always look at something different. I had a great couple of days in London just before Christmas , looking at everything from Daido Moraiyama to Rachel Whiteread's sculptures. And then I went to enjoy some fine ales in the pub afterwards, in the interests of balance.:wink: If you feel blocked in one area, doing something different is always a good idea (I love hillwalking and cycling). And don't forget the tunes-classical, jazz, rock, whatever moves you really. Last but not least, cooking is great too!

13. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second this strategy. I keep a notebook with ideas to try to keep the assignments folder full. I also try to attend at least one workshop a year which gives me a chance to travel and I usually end up with a couple in months of work as a result.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Also now that I am retired I make plan and take a trip to a National Park, another city, a fair in another county, go off roading, another state, ... every month or every other month in addition to vacations. These trips give us a change of scenery and photographic opportunities.

16. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Inspiration for me happens once I start working on something. If something or some place has a visual impact on me, I start thinking of what I can do with it.

17. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't know what inspiration is. Looking at HCB pictures and trying to make the same? To make them the same you have to work hard.
    So, it is not about inspiration if you are into good photography. It is about been active and involved. Would it be landscape, where you have to drive, walk and wait like AA did.
    Or get out on busy street like GW did and learn about people by doing of photography. Or just be interested in local events, if not volunteering. Good pictures will come.

18. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To quote the late great Dorothea Lange. "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera". See as apposed to looking and the rest will come easy.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

19. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been reading some art composition books (drawing/painting) for fresh ideas on composition.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I look at famous photographers photographs and look at paintings and sculpture in art museums.

21. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Sometimes if I need some inspiration I look to see what this guy jnanian at photrio is up to. You could try that.

I've been looking at lots of classic paintings and drawings lately. Just discovered Ivan Shishkin's sketches too.

Trying some new process sometimes gets me going... Joe's post about direct paper positives got me using my tin can pinhole cameras again and I've been having fun with it. Not any kind of inspired project, but it got me moving again. Actually right this moment I'm kind of in a lull and am waiting for the next inspiration to come along, but I've got a feeling it will...I can sort of feel it brewing. I like MSA and have been seeing rhythms all around me ever since Matt put up the topic....

22. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Northern Renaissance paintings
    Historical photographers' work
    Contemporary professional photographers' work
    Workshops/seminars
    My own work

23. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To answer your question, the best way that I know how, I can only say that the potential subject must inspire me and it only must be meaningful to me, no one else. If it is meaningful to others, I am doubly blessed. If your question is: do I sometimes not feel like going out and taking pictures, the answer is yes. Then, I put everything away until the desire strikes me again......Regards!

24. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    +1 I cannot think of a better way to get inspiration than looking at other work, good and not so good.

25. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Inspiration comes from within. My question is, are you looking at things, or do you "see" things. It's no secret that recently I was giving up, but after some conversations with many friends here(and at home), I have started seeing again. I'm still not quick to trip a shutter, but I find myself studying things in depth, searching for the image rather than merely looking at everything.

26. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I seem to be having a different sort of issue the past 6 months or so. I've been getting out on adventures and I always bring a camera with me. I keep finding these great scenes, but rather than taking the photo, I often just put the camera down and sit and enjoy the moment and keep it to myself.