Inkjet transfers

Discussion in 'Misc. Hybrid Discussions' started by winger, Oct 12, 2017.

1. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been playing with doing inkjet transfers - print a photo (flipped L-R) on ordinary paper, apply Mod Podge to the image and press it to a canvas board or piece of wood, let dry, dampen the paper and rub off the paper. This mostly works, but leaves some paper and removes some image. I want to do it using transparencies so I don't have to rub off the paper. It does work, but the current house printer can't print well on thick substrates like transparencies (I get noticeable stripes). So I'm considering getting a decent photo printer. But I have no idea if it matters whether I get one with dye type inks or pigment type inks. Has anyone else tried transfers and will it matter? I may also make digital negatives for cyanotypes and such, so knowing which is better for that might be helpful (though not if they each need something different).

2. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would go with pigment inks. I’ve never attempted an inkjet transfer, but I had a dye based printer once and never could find a transparency that it would stick to. So I eventually got another printer and sold that one.

3. OP
    OP
    winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to know. Thanks very much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.