Impluse buy, Jobo tempering unit

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jarvman, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know how cold/hot your darkroom gets in winter/summer, but mine, being in the basement, definitely gets and stays colder than my target processing temperature, even for black and white. I have a JOBO CPA2 which does the tempering of chems for me, so I know that my developer and fix are at the proper temperature, and they stay that way. It will help you maintain more consistent processing, and I think you'll see the results.

3. glaiben

glaiben Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That was a great deal - one just went for $225 here in the US! I use mine for E6 and C41 - work's great.

4. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You can warm your chemistry without running your Jobo pump and heater. My basement holds chems at about 60 deg. in the winter and I bought one of these pretty cheap, it works pretty well. I bought a heated magnetic stirrer a year or so ago and I use that now to bring my developer up to temp in a minute or so, it really, really works well..Evan Clarke

5. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a great piece of equipment. I had one until recently and used it almost daily with great results. I'm looking for a replacement or similar now. For the benefits you gain that was a pretty inexpensive whim!

6. OP
    OP
    Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    heh heh, cheers for the responses. Looks like it was a good buy huh :smile: I was only looking for a jobo rotatory drum for 5x4 negs after reading a thread on here when I came across it. I keep getting scratches on my negs when tray processing. Are there any 5x4 film tanks that would fit this unit?

7. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It won't hold the Expert drums, which are what you REALLY need if you want to tank process any kind of large format film. But with those, you can just get a decent sized tray, fill it with water, and put in an aquarium heater.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I paid a lot for the one that holds 12 bottles, and I looked for a while before one came up. Thats a good deal.

9. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That is a good deal. I used to use something similar for black and white when during the winter.

I think now i'd find a process timer/thermocouple, immersible probe, submersible pump and a heater and just fashion my own but for 35 pounds.. that's pretty sweet.

10. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Since Jobo has stopped production of their processor, I bought a Nova one. Wonderful, and still made, by a small enterprise based in England :smile:

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jobo has not discontinued their processors entirely- they still make the CPP2+, albeit at nearly double the price they used to charge.

12. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    B&H says they're discontinued, and I can't even find a listing anywhere else. I suspect OmegaSatter was just selling off remaining stock at a premium.

13. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Great deal -- I use mine to keep my pigmented gelatin (what us carbon printers call "glop") at 105F for several hours.

Vaughn

15. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They are still on the International ad European Web Sites too

If I had the money and inclination I could buy one in the UK

Whether they are still being sold in the USA is another matter

Martin

16. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That was a good deal, although a good deal for overpriced Jobo gear. I have one of these too and use it a lot. I use it to hold tempered solutions if I do a large developing run so that everything is up to temperature.

For 4x5, you can use it as a tempering bath for BTZS tubes. Just remove the red plastic top and you have a tempered water bath for floating/rotating the tubes. You can leave you bottle of developer floating in the water bath between runs.

17. OP
    OP
    Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm this doesn't look so good. Every time I turn the thing on it trips the fusebox in the house. I've changed it three or so times and the same thing every time. Any ideas whats up? Guess there's a reason it was so cheap. :sad:

18. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you've definitely isolated the fuse blowing to turning on the Jobo then it must be a short in the Jobo. Make sure, though, that there's nothing else on the same circuit. I once had the same problem with this and found out my electrician had wired the outlet I was using into one of the kitchen circuits. The fuse blew every time I turned on the Jobo AND my wife was making a cup of tea!!:rolleyes:

Alternatively you could replace the fuse with a six inch nail - that'll take some blowing!!!! (Kidding! Really - the Mumbles Coast'll go up like a dry Christmas tree!!!)

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jarvman,

Is the circuit connected to an RCD?

Tom.

20. OP
    OP
    Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter: