Ilford PanF

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by MartinCrabtree, Jun 2, 2018.

1. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was rummaging through my freezer collection. I have a roll of PanF of unknown age. I recall hearing problems with old PanF but no specifics. SHould I shoot it and if so what E.I.?

2. NedL

NedL Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I think the well known problem is with latent images, so the trick is not to wait too long after using it to develop it. I'd expect the film to last pretty well in a freezer. Hopefully someone else will chime in if that's not right ( I'm just parroting what I've read... not from personal experience! )

3. Arvee

Arvee Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should be okay shooting at box speed if frozen but don't expect to see any images on the rebate. Once the film is a couple of years of age, the imprints on the rebate will have faded and most likely disappeared. I am just about finished with a bulk roll that has not yet expired and I have a difficult time making out any marks on the edges. A word of caution: once exposed, develop immediately! Waiting a month will make a big difference on how much image you will retain. This film indeed does suffer from the 'latent image fading' problem.

Good luck...

4. OP
    OP
    MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great news. Thanks. Just gotta figure something that's appropriate for a 50 ISO film. While we're at it does Rodinal agree with it? :D

5. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use rodinal 1 to 50 for about 11 min 20 degrees. I print with a diffusion enlarger.

6. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot a room temperature stored roll of Pan F just last week, processed it the same day. Pretty good.

7. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Movie film with latent images found in Antarctica many years later was developed and ok, although I have no idea about how they went about processing film. Excessive heat is much harmful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.