Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Seems that Ilford is phasing in a new style of Package, with the end flaps given over to a summary of the length and speed of the film rather than the actual type. I guess that may make it harder if you stock both HP5 and Delta 400 in your camera bag. On the positive side it should flush the retail channel of old stock film.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/new-film-packaging/

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
with the end flaps given over to a summary of the length and speed of the film rather than the actual type.
It seems though, that one flap has speed and exposure, and the other flap the type of film.

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It seems though, that one flap has speed and exposure, and the other flap the type of film.
I thought the boxes on the left were the new, and the boxes on the right were the old, so I am now confused. I don't use box ends anyway, so I'm still safe.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't recall ever seeing an Ilford film box with the black border on the bottom so those are likely both the new design. Nothing against it and it might help those new to film.

BradS

Shooter
35mm
That's kinda cool. Thank you Ilford ! not jonly for the fabulous films but also for these additional little "niceties". Well done.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Where there film boxes before that got hints at social media?

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Nothing against it and it might help those new to film.
Now let's hope they just remember to change their ISO dial. Which brings up a question, where there ever ISO dials on film cameras? All my film cameras have ASA dials.

Oren Grad

Shooter
Large Format
Which brings up a question, where there ever ISO dials on film cameras? All my film cameras have ASA dials.

Most - perhaps all - AF film SLRs are marked "ISO" rather than ASA. Probably most or all late-model motorized non-AF SLRs too (e.g., Canon T90). Even a few late cameras with traditional designs that have the film speed setting coaxial with the shutter speed dial or the rewind lever - for example, Nikon FM3A, Contax S2.

Last edited:

Prest_400

Shooter
Med. Format RF
I really liked the classic all white, the black stripe at the bottom reminds me of Kodak. Interesting to see moved details and simplification that cleans up the design. They got rid of the "ironic pixelation" in the Plus! :whistling:

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It must have been a really slow day around the office when they decided to change the packaging. :smile:

Shooter
Multi Format
I am all for it, anything that lets a newby identify the film more easily. After all it must be quite taxing remembering that FP4 Plus is 125 asa (iso) and HP5 Plus is 400 asa (iso). Now can we please go back to the different coloured tops for the different type of films because the boxes will not fit the bandalero in my bag and I am sick of having to open each tube until I find the film I want.

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I am all for it, anything that lets a newby identify the film more easily. After all it must be quite taxing remembering that FP4 Plus is 125 asa (iso) and HP5 Plus is 400 asa (iso). Now can we please go back to the different coloured tops for the different type of films because the boxes will not fit the bandalero in my bag and I am sick of having to open each tube until I find the film I want.
A film bandolero. As Obi Wan would say, now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time.

Steve Roberts

Shooter
35mm
I'm not sure that these changes will help anyone identify what type of film they have. If they couldn't glean that basic information from the old packaging, maybe they shouldn't be allowed out on their own!
However, the occasional refreshing of packaging of any product is usually seen as a positive move as long as it doesn't diverge too radically from that with which committed customers identify (which I don't think this change does).

Steve

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Looks great . Ilford still gives you a box with every roll of film,nice. I always use the end flaps . Looks less confusing, the icon of the film on the "new" end flap might be more helpful if you don't know English ?

Europan

Shooter
Multi Format
Unfortunately they still haven’t improved on the typographic catastrophical ILFORD. That too tight letter-spacing, since decades, is just an insult to the eye, especially the I and the L sticking together. One should’t have chosen a font sans serifs in the first place.

I l f o r d

Kodak
went in the same direction with a horrible graphic scheme. I am sorry, it looks simply dumb.

Kodak logo.jpg

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
those were quite handy, BUT I don't think the cans with the coloured tops are light tight.
Are you saying that the coloured tops are not light tight but the black tops are? Clearly the white translucent Fuji cans were never light tight but the solid coloured one used by Ilford look to be impenetrable to light to me. It may be you are saying it is you who is the source of the information but if not then what's the source? Thanks .

pentaxuser

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom