Ilford Hyfin Developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BMbikerider, Jan 3, 2018.

1. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Shortly after I started B&W developing way back around 1962 there was a film developer on the market called Ilford Hyfin. It was a powder developer which gave absolutely exquisite negatives, that were so sharp and fully toned they were far better than Agfa Rodinal. It was not a cheap product for what you got. 4 packets of powder, each packet made 500cc of working solution for only 2 of the Ilford films Pan F and FP3 (at the time no FP4). There were instructions that it was a 'use once and discard' developer.

The keeping properties were minimal, even after processing one film, the colour of the developer had turned a distinctive yellow!l So I used to split a packet into 2 halves and make one half up to 250cc. The development time was I remember 18 minutes @ 68f. No variations were ever given.

Shortly after wards I left home to join the Military and the next time I went to buy some it had been discontinued.

I have since been in touch with Ilford and asked if they could release the formula so I could have some made up but they flatly refused, claiming it was commercially sensitive. They also declined to say if it would ever again become available to the general public.

Has anyone else used this product and what did they think of it?

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, well before my time in photography. I think that Ian Grant may be your best source as to its history and making a stab at its composition. Our older U.S. members may have some knowledge but I wonder how much Ilford stuff had penetrated the U.S. market back then.

Back in 1962 from what I have learnt everything in photography was expensive relative to today.

pentaxuser

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two boxes of Hyfin but the Glycin had gone off years ago so it's useless - each packet made 600ml of developer. I have the probable formula in my darkroom, it was published by LFA Mason of Ilford in his book Photographic Processing Chemistry.

There were other similar developers Definal. Kodak HDD, then there was Acutol S, all give similar exaggerated edge effects. I did try Acutol S but it wasn't very nice with 35mm film giving quite coarse grain.

Ian

4. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
  5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mason states this as a typical High acitance developer;

Metol 0.5g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 5g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 5g
    Water to 1 litre

He adds that other formulkae contain Glycin (as well as metol) in about the same concentration along with a few ml of 1:2000 Pinacrytol Yellow - this is most likely hyfin.

Ian

6. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, are you saying that adding 0.5g of Glycin and a few ML of 1:2000 Pinacrytol Yellow should be close to Ilford Hyfin? Would you say about 3.5ml of Pinacrytol Yellow would do as in Crawley's FX2 developer?

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, about as close as you're going to get, Mason was Head of Ilford Research at the time he wrote his book.

Ian

8. John Wiegerink

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian, I might just try this out since cold weather here in Michigan has pretty much put a stop to everything else.
    JohnW

9. Tim Stapp

Tim Stapp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy, that is an understatement!!!

10. John Wiegerink

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have -13 F at midnight here in balmy Sparta. I'm sure it's just as cold or colder where you are at Tim.