Ilford HP5 or Tri-X if developing in ILFOTEC DD

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by IlfordFan, May 21, 2018.

1. IlfordFan

IlfordFan Member

Shooter:
    DSLR
    I want to get more into black and white film photography and am trying to decide between Tri-X and HP5. The lab I am using only processes film in Ilfotec DD, so I am wondering if it is better to use Ilford film in Ilford chemistry? The contrast of Tri-X is appealing though. Any thoughts?

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ask the lab.
    Most likely, they see lots of each.
    There is no particular reason to prefer an Ilford developer with Ilford film, or a Kodak developer with Kodak film, other than the fact that those who process their own have access to a little bit more info in the appropriate datasheets.
    By the way, HP5 is just as capable of being contrasty as Tri-X is.

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As Ilfordfan, I'd have thought the answer is obvious :D On a more serious note DD will do as good a job with either film. For 40 years I bought a washing powder called "White Tide " because I saw an advert where a "very geniune looking" executive behind a desk said that his company's washing machines performed best with White Tide" I only recently found out that the executive was not an executive of the company making my washing machine at all but was an actor, paid to say what he had said. I was shocked :D. You will be pleased to know that I have now manged to get over this shock :D

Try both films in DD, have the prints marked HP5 or Tri-X by a friend on the back out of your sight and the see if you can separate the prints accurately to a percentage figure that is statistically significant compared to chance

Let us know how the experiment goes

pentaxuser

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.