If you cannot make great photo's in and around your house......

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Ron789, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Why it is big deal, challenge or problem to take pictures inside?
    It doesn't matter if you are registered on this property or not. Makes no difference at all.
    It is actually much more easy at home. You could do it all and you could pull it all and photograph it.

Or is it same "problem" as - I live in small town and here is nothing to photograph?

2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing I've noticed about places is that visitors easily find things to photograph that natives ignore. As a visitor, local friends or relatives were puzzled why I'd photograph what they saw every day. To me the subject was interesting; they couldn't see it. This is why I've deliberately chosen to photograph things that I consider too common or too familiar in my own environs. That, plus I consider myself an unofficial archivist/historian.

As I wrote here years ago, I've had the attitude that I should be able to make five photographs anywhere. To experiment, I went into a small meeting room at work and found a way to make five photos that weren't crap.

That type of environment intrigues me. I'd use a Minox.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ruth Bernhard instructed her students to limit themselves to 30ft from their beds.

4. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ko.Fe
    i think the problem is that there are so many people who love photography and are "invested" in their whole photo-thing
    that they for whatever reasons believe you need to travel far and wide to notice and see interesting things to photograph.
    for me i find it overwhelming to go somewhere exotic to photograph there is a lot ot take in .. and i have to somehow detach myself
    from the situation maybe close my eyes ... ? i think it is the hardest thing in the world to photograph your immediate surroundings
    because again you have to detach yourself from what you see every moment of your day and actually SEE it ...

brilliant stuff !

5. Wayne

Wayne Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nobody ever said that, because many years ago everyone knew how to use apostrophes.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL

Or to translate into 21st century English:
    Nobody ever said that, because many year’s ago everyone knew how to use apostrophe’s.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    When I travel and have the luxury of time, whether it is a popular tourist infected area of a quite remote place, I ask the locals where the secret special places that no one knows about are. They are usually so pleased that I asked, they will sometimes draw maps or even take me there. Always worth the excursion.

8. OP
    OP
    Ron789

Ron789 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your comments! I'll be interviewed by a newspaper tomorrow on my book introduction and current exhibition in a local modern art gallery so I may quote this statement but without referring to a specific source.
    Most people seem to agree with it while some feel they need a more interesting / appealing subject than their home and direct surroundings. Personally, I make my best photo's close by. I travel a lot to many interesting places but I hardly make photo's while traveling and when I do, most of them turn out boring.... just a registration of a nice subject, no added value. I stopped carrying lots of camera gear with me like I did in the past; when I do take a camera with me it's something really small and simple that fits in my pocket but I tend to hardly use it.

9. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My backyard...

Platinum/palladium print

PS -- it should really be view at actual size (2 1/4" sq image.)

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.