Identifying Kodak Ektar Version

Discussion in 'Scanning and Scanners' started by drew528, Sep 17, 2018.

1. drew528

drew528 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a lot (dozens) of tolls of Kodak's Ektar 100 about 3-4 years ago, probably from B&H so it was fresh at the time. Most of that time it was in the freezer until a day or two before I shot it. Until now, I had the film commercially processed and scanned. I shot the last of it last week, processed the film myself (Unicolor), and am scanning the processed film with Vuescan and a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED. Vuescan is telling me that there are a number of different Ektars. I understand that it was discontinued and then brought back to life in 2008, so it is no surprise that there would be more than one. Previously, other films had edge markings telling me what version of Kodacolor etc. the film was, but this film only tells me is Kodak Ektar 100. I'm guessing it is the latest version III, but Vuescan shows two different versions of that: CX and SY. Is there a way to be certain?

2. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never found film profiles to be accurate. Could you just try each to see which works better in this case?

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All of these versions should be the same for all practical purposes. The major changes are not "visible" to a scanner or human eyes. Other changes are slight in grain, sharpness or image stability.

PE

4. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    CX is one of the old 1990s-2000s version.

5. n88djw

n88djw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've found all of the film profiles lacking. Best to manually set the film base colour - there are instructions online at various places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.