Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoff mountfield
Recent bookmarks

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I shoot a lot of Fuji instant and don't follow "Polaroid" products because, as far as I know, it does not fit any camera with an adjustable lens and shutter. Maybe someone that knows the story of the new "Polaroid" name will chime in. I believe someone just bought the name "Polaroid."

Oren Grad

Shooter
Large Format
This is just the continuation of the Impossible Project under a different name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid_Originals

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/12/polaroid-acquired-impossible-projects-largest-shareholder/

https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/

The films are more expensive and less stable than Fuji Instax - though much improved from the earliest Impossible films - but they're the only game in town if you want to use your old SX70, 600 or Spectra series cameras (EDIT: or if you happen to have one of the old 8x10 processors, and lots of money!). And they do have a distinctive look, so you might want to use them for that reason as well.

And another EDIT, before some nitpicker gets on my case re "only game in town" - I should have said "if you want fresh film". Sure, you can try your luck with far-outdated film stock manufactured by the old Polaroid company, if you can find any on eBay or wherever.

Last edited:

Lee Rust

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The 'Polaroid Original' color film is greatly improved in consistency and color from the first batches of years ago and develops somewhat faster (20-30 min), but is still very low in contrast with a bluish overcast from traces of remaining opacifier. The B&W film develops much faster (5-15 min), is quite contrasty and takes on a sepia tone after a day or two. Bright lighting gives the best results.

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format

P.johnson14

Shooter
Instant Films
Not to sound harsh, but what does it matter?

The name and possibly some legacy patents/documents/technology is all that remains. IIRC, all of that was purchased from the holding company that owned the rights of what remained after Polaroid fell. The new company isn’t the same as the old Polaroid Corporation, and isn’t responsible for the mess that the old company got itself into.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
It matters as we all live in one society.
The lay-offs in the photochemical industry have been many tenthousands. Sometimes the change even came within few weeks. Often there was loss of pension rights, even likely malafide intent.

The people at Polaroid of today indeed have nothing to do with those layoffs, but they have been saved without own input. So they can call themselves very lucky...

P.johnson14

Shooter
Instant Films
The reason I asked why it mattered is because that’s how our economic system works in the US. Capitalism runs on the greed of a few at the top.

Workers, especially blue collar, have always been considered expendable. As a blue collar worker myself, I know that tomorrow I might not have a job while corporate executives walk away from their mistakes with millions. At the same time they manage to convince those same workers that Unions are a bad thing, and they pay off our idiot politicians who further that agenda, let them get away with it, and get the workers to elect or re elect them.

The Photochemical industry, the Steel industry, Manufacturing, and soon, the Transportation industry, all were the victims of changing technology and policies that benefit shareholders, and screw over workers. Once technology reaches a certain point in an industry, workers are then considered a liability rather than an asset.

I don’t mean to get this thread too far off the rails.

koraks

Shooter
Multi Format
With all due respect to blue, white and other-collared workers, I personally think that this forum is most attractive for its discussion about photography. I even follow discussions on instant materials with interest despite not having the ambition to shell out the cash to buy into it. But again, for its technical and aesthetic aspects, and not the business interests of specific groups. There's a huge and growing body of academic literature on business ethics for whomever is interested in that side of the debate.

Roger Wade

Shooter
Multi Format
As a polaroid shooter as well as TLR and SLR, I am amused when people ask me if I can still get films for my cameras, whether I can still get them developed. Polaroid cameras and films are still (again) readily available, albeit under a different mantle. My local store stocks both. With digital technology, many just assume it has gone and are pleasantly surprised when they hear it us still available. Thank goodness.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
The 'Polaroid Original' color film is greatly improved in consistency and color from the first batches of years ago ... but is still very low in contrast with a bluish overcast from traces of remaining opacifier. The B&W film ... is quite contrasty and takes on a sepia tone after a day or two...

Is it too soon to evaluate the archival properties of Polaroid Originals as compared to the Impossible film?

I still am using Impossible and there may be slight fading of my prints (kept in an album and viewed occasionally). My true Polaroid prints from early 2005 still look great.

Once my Impossible batch is gone, I will buy Polaroid originals. I realize Fuji Instax is better, but I want to continue using my SX-70, SLR 690, and Image 1200. Meanwhile, I'm slowly and sadly using up my Fuji packfilm.

Lee Rust

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
As far as I know, the new Polaroid Originals is the next generation of Impossible, just with a different name. I expect archival properties would be similar.

Ces1um

Shooter
Multi Format
Is it too soon to evaluate the archival properties of Polaroid Originals as compared to the Impossible film?
I have a bunch of candid family snapshots (taken with the new polaroid originals film) displayed on our fridge door (hardly able to see the fridge door). The room is well lit with natural light and definitely isn't conducive to long term storage. I can tell you that under these conditions the photos are already fading and they're only a little more than 1-1.5 years old. The colour film seems to be taking on a pinkish tone and the black and white is very strongly sepia. The ones kept in the dark in a box out of the sun still look pretty much as they did the day I first shot them.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A new company bought the trademarks and intellectual property of the Polaroid company, it is no more Polaroid, than "Bell and Howell", the company that sells LED flashlights, is the same company that made projectors in an earlier life. Or DeWalt the company that made the great radial arm saws.

markjwyatt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I watched a documentary (Time Zero) on Amazon about Polaroid film and its demise last night. From my understanding the Impossible Project product is a new formulation as many of the components of the original Polaroid film are unavailable.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom