I take beautiful pictures that everyone loves

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the PHOTRIO Community' started by Bill Burk, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In the book "Don't Shoot" by S. Dirk Shafer, ( @Schafphoto ) the chapter "What D'Ya Do?" asks you to imagine what you would say at a party when Jimmy Fallon comes up to you and asks you what you do.

I was at a reunion/celebration of life yesterday. It was a wonderful day I'll treasure forever. At my table were four dear friends and three people I knew about but hadn't actually met before. We got to talking about my photography. I mentioned this community and how we're all dedicated to film.

I said... "My specialty is Zone System and film processing and drawing characteristic curves. But I wish it was 'I take beautiful pictures that everyone loves'."

Ludicrous Lori said I should change my tagline and everyone within earshot agreed.

So from now on "I take beautiful pictures that everyone loves".

2. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's similar to 'Why do you shoot film?"

I stopped trying to explain grain and dynamic range and now say, "I love the look and you will too"

3. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try...."I don't 'shoot film', I actually MAKE photographs using 'old fashioned film' using my acquired skills, because I don't have...or need a digital camera!!!"

Ken

4. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "It's a chemical camera."

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi bill

sorry to ask this
    but why would anyone want to take photographs that everyone loves ?
    sounds a bit too "truman" to me ... if there is no conflict, no " this is terrible, why did you do that its too XYZ"
    or inertia won't the photographer just stagnate?
    i don't mean to be snarky or anything like i hope you didn't take it that way ...
    ==
    when people ask what i do photographically i have a hard time even explaining it to them because i don't even know anymore

6. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh it's easy,

"I take decent pictures that all my relatives love. They think I'm the best there ever was."

7. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I make plenty of "artistic" photos, I tell people I'm a historical preservationist or archivist - which is true. I want and enjoy photographic records of land, trees, rivers, hills, towns, and cities that I know are going to change even within a decade or two.

Very few people realize I'm using a film camera (even though for the last few months I've been using Exaktas): to them, anything other than a phone must be a digital camera.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was being a bit snarky too. Of course the idea could use some work. Right now I like it because it’s simple and straightforward. Not sure I want to change it to “I take pictures that make people think”. That might work for you though.

9. hoffy

hoffy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My tag line?

"I take adequate pictures that most people ignore".

I'm going to sit in the corner and cry for a while if it's ok with the rest of you....

10. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    I can imagine Don Draper (from Mad Men) using this line, which must make it a good 'pitch'.

I try and describe what's in the photographs and leave the rest ambiguous, but it's an ever changing feast.
    I had to google who Jimmy Fallon is.

It might be better to 'take beautiful pictures that (whatever they mean to you), rather than what they mean to others, or what you think they mean etc.'
    Sounds like you had a good night Bill, Prost!

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer "I take pictures. I love doing it. I find both the process and the results interesting and sometimes beautiful, and sometimes other people find the results interesting and/or beautiful too. It brings me joy."
    Or if you prefer, just "It brings me joy".

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i like that bill ... that simple and straightforward is great ... and i get it now :smile:
    not sure if i want to make people think though, most people don't seem to like thinking
    i was told its too east coast

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  13. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill: I like it 'cause in many ways, it is the joy our photographs give to others that keeps us going, to see their response and engagement with what we've shot, developed and printed.

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "But I wish it was 'I take beautiful pictures that everyone loves'."

Me too... But I am rather the tech guy.

15. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was actually having this conversation with a group of painters recently (some of whom also did photography) and none of us could adequately explain what we "did". And that's okay. (It's why artist statements are so hard to write and generally sound like nonsense). I've quite frankly even up on trying to explain my photography. Here: look at some pictures ...

16. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just tell people I'm a shoe salesman.

17. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tell everybody "I'm a curmudgeon, leave me alone." Then Karen explains what I do, and everyone goes "OOOOH" (well, not everyone, some say oh, whatever)

18. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If anybody asks, my reply is that I make photos of people, places & events I want to remember or examine in detail at a later time. If some of those pictures happen to be particularly artful, so much the better. If anyone else appreciates my images, that's fine, but I find that most people are too busy looking at their own snaps to care very much about mine.

19. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm just a half foot shorter than Don, and less hair. I also drink far less so I have that going for me.

I just did a shoot where I schlepped along my Nikkormat alongside the digital gear. Kid loved the film camera and I got excellent B&W shots too. And yes, the mom loved the look too.

20. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Or “I take pictures of people without them knowing and then show them a few decades later”. Film is the best way to do that.

I was going through negatives to bring pictures for Saturday’s celebration and a new old friend, Robert Young, was my latest victim. At a party (shortly after I met my wife, 28 years ago), I took a picture of a new father holding his child. A nice portrait in the first place turned amazing over time.

21. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Haaa. Well, for the record, your OM-4 worked perfectly on Saturday. Even the self-timer.

22. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tell people I am with the NSA and use a film camera as it's the only image recording device that can't be hacked.

23. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good one.

24. jacaquarie

jacaquarie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I tell people when every thing works"I capture the slice of time that is then processed and presented back to you that allows you to touch emotions that allow you ( the observer) to travel back in time and reexperience your emotions again.
    I facilitate time travels.

25. OP
    OP
    Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think you could lead off with...

"I'm a time travel agent".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.