I just bought (and registered) a new Nikon F6

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by NortheastPhotographic, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MultiFormat Shooter

MultiFormat Shooter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be nice if Nikon or somebody like Meta 35 would make a firmware update to use the E lenses. Alas, I'm not counting on it.

2. Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That must be a gag review. No one could be that much of a dolt. Well, maybe one of the self-proclaimed expert "photographers" from a site like Dpreview....

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are one lucky guy; enjoy to the fullest!

4. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like grandchild put on a little weight compared with the old folks. Just kidding....Enjoy!

5. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's amazing that people show so little thinking "outside the box"! You can get 36 shots, and all contained in the same physical space! That's a 50% improvement in capacity!

6. rmjranch

rmjranch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    BE CAREFUL buying a used F6 in the USA. Nikon USA will NOT service non USA serial number F6s. Private service companies in the USA can not service the F6 since Nikon will not sell them the necessary equipment. I purchased two F6's used and made sure they were USA numbers. I shoot both F5's and F6's. On my chromes, the F6 is slightly better, maybe 5 to 10%. Anything else hard to tell. Personally I shoot with my F5's (I have 4) most of the time. I am NOT a collector. I use my cameras and are very hard on them, boats, beaches, etc. F5's go out every other year to private service company for CLA's .Never had one fail.

7. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A brilliantly done gag review, yes. Just like the banana slicer reviews.

8. Huss

Huss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course F6s never fail as they are the best camera ever. Apart from mine that had the AF and focus confirmation dot fail. It's with Nikon USA in Los Angeles right now, hopefully I'll get it back in a few days.
    Invoice says B2 - major repair/replace of components. $240. The camera has always been babied, not a mark on it. So much for that. Saving grace is it is a USA model - the rep at Nikon said they would not have touched it if it was a grey market camera.

9. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what happens of you lived in some other country where you bought an F6 and then moved to the USA? Or are on vacation in the USA and the camera fails? Nikon won't service it? I can see not doing warranty repairs, but not touching it all all seems rather parochial.

10. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, how do you tell if it's a non USA serial number?

11. rmjranch

rmjranch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You call or email Nikon USA and ask if it is a USA serial number. If it is NOT USA they will not fix it!!!!

As to reliability the F5 is built like a tank. It was built as a professional camera. Like I said, I have been abusing them since they first came out, (cost about $2,000 new, my first one) and never had a failure, NEVER. I do have them CLA'd every two years.It can be done by independent agencies. You do NOT need to go to Nikon, read faster and less expensive, just as good and maybe better. Considering you can buy an F5 now for about $300 to $400, CLA about $120. The F6 was built as a camera for advanced amateurs. The F6 just does not feel as sturdy.

12. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are exceptions. For instance, if you're in a foreign country and make a purchase there, Nikon has been known to "transfer" the warranty to the U.S., but I believe its been on a case by case basis; and I think that a damaged camera, lens, etc. falls into that category.

13. Huss

Huss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Posters stated there that Nikon no longer places the sticker under the flap. Clear as mud :smile:

16. PerTulip

PerTulip Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I dropped my F5 at the Nikon Service Point, because the front dial was misbehaving. So, they will: replace the front dial, replace the rubber and CLA it. Cost: ~$230. And, since somebody complained about "grey market" cameras, I bought mine in Japan, but it's absolutely no issue for the local (Austria+Germany) Nikon services.

17. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Am i the only one that prefers cameras with some heft to them?
    I have held both an F5 and an F6 in my hands and i like the F5 better, feels very stable compared to the F6 and since i have big hands the F5 is just more ergonomic.
    And, the F5 is a whole lot cheaper than an F6.
    I will eventually buy one off Ebay and a few AF-D lenses to go with it.

18. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also thought the F6 was a bit light, compared to the F4 and F5 versions. I recently bought the MD-40 battery module, and it brings it to the heft of the F4 and F5.

19. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I’ve topped the 500k on a few occasions. I slacked a bit last year: 250 films, 40 weddings (with an average of 3000 digital shots per wedding) and a few more jobs here and there, amounting to roughly 130k.

250k-500k is not unheard of, in the pro photography world. Even when digital didn’t exist, pros could shoot more than 100 rolls a day on assignments, easily. Just a boxing match could require 5-10 rolls per round times 10 rounds, and so on. That’s why assistants were a must; all they were doing was loading the shuffling cameras all day long.

20. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, for the explanation, NB23. I could not quite believe that it was 250,000 to 500,000 frames of film which at 36 frames per roll is even at the lower amount of 250,000 is early 7,000 rolls of film but it was about 250 rolls, the rest being digital. As solely an analogue "shooter" myself and on an analogue forum my assumption was that anyone talking shots was referring to shots with film.

pentaxuser

21. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, a three minute round is 180 seconds. To shoot 5 rolls in 180 seconds means one roll every 36 seconds - basically one frame every second -- not taking into account time to rewind and change the roll.

That seems extreme to me, unless multiple cameras are being used.

22. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pros have at least 3 cameras, 5 in some instances. 5 to 10 fps motors. That’s one single roll of film in 4 to 7.5 seconds.

Olympics: 10 cameras. Wired, radio triggered, even in the filmdays.

23. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the days before digital, even with multiple cameras, there were film backs capable of 250 feet rolls of film. Motor drives ran at 5-8 fps. With about 40mm per frame (36+4 for the space), you'd get over 1800 frames of 35mm exposures per back. The Nikon F2, F3, etc. and Canon F1 were all available with the 250 ft backs. The limiting factor was power to the drives.

24. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two F6s, and keep other 35mm cameras around for the experience of using something different (Leica, Olympus and Pentax). If anyone who hasn't used one ever has the chance, it is well worth the outlay. Fast autofocus, a meter that's smarter than me, easy/quick loading and decent lenses - enough to make me happy. My Flickr F6 album is here.

Chris

25. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK - I understand. So, since you know afterwards what the critical moments of the match were, you can go to those frames and find the best shot. I suppose the only challenge might be the boxers might be positioned poorly at times or focus might be a challenge - but maybe not if you're using 28mm or 24mm lenses. Still, it's easier than having to use a Speed Graphic.

I've seen those 250' backs - I always thought they'd be great for Formula 1 or Football.

26. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's both good and bad news when it comes to the 250" backs. It's just as easy to miss "the shot", as it is to get it. Those backs do lessen the odds of missing the critical instant. Even though the Speed Graphic was a literal "one shot" camera, there are many, many shots that were "the shot". It still takes a good photographer to know, and anticipate the critical moment.