Threads
Members
Latest member
Artist-Photographer
Recent bookmarks

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
After finding a price I could not refuse, I finally got me one of Fuji's new medium format cameras. My god is it beautiful! Wow. After nearly 2 years of hemming and hawing, I pulled the trigger.

She's so beautiful!

11262130534_627024782d_b.jpg

Shooter
Multi Format
I was really tempted when they came out, what, over two years ago? Glad you like it and hope you use it well.

goodfood

Shooter
4x5 Format
HO, HO, HO, my dream camera. I saw one at my local camera shop that someone order it. It's beautiful. Keep use it.

thegman

Shooter
Medium Format
Looks better in your photo than it does in the stock/advertising photos. Looks very pretty indeed.

Shooter
Multi Format
Just stepped out of a darkroom proofing session for a breather and saw this. Man I am so happy for you. Mine is the regular GF670, not the wide, version. I just now did some 6x7 proofs from it. Good gawd that lens is sharp. Biting sharp.

What a beautiful camera(s).

Ken

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
:smile:

Shooter
Multi Format
Congratulations! I always thought this would be a camera that travels well. Enjoy!

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
That's great. Almost for a minute made me want one. Except for the remembrance of how absolutely terrible Fujica lenses were in the early 70's. A Fujica ST701 was like looking through an ice cube. Are they any better now? (I haven't kept up to speed on that brand).

OP
OP
RattyMouse

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks everyone! I just finished my first outing with my new GF670W. I shot 5 rolls of film and boy was it lovely. I have never had such a wonderful camera before. Just a dream to shoot with. I didnt give all the details in my original post.

I'm in Tokyo now on a holiday and found this GF670W for sale brand new for $2100. I have always wanted this camera but where I live (China), it costs $2800 USED. So I never could pull the trigger on it. I pounced on this when I saw this much lower price. The only hang up is that there is no warranty outside Japan. I hope I never need to regret it because of this.

One last day here in Tokyo. How much film can a man shoot in a day? I may find out tomorrow.

Happy shooting everyone!

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
Tom,

I don't see how you can speak with credibility on Fujinon lenses, if you don't even possess the very common knowledge of where they have been, and are, being used. Fuji has long known how to make lenses. They built the first computer in Japan, the FUJIC, in 1956, just for optical design. Fuji has for many years made highly regarded medium format cameras and lenses in 645, 6X7, 6X8, 6X9, and 6X17 formats; they have long made an extensive line of large format lenses which are very well respected; Hasselblad now uses Fuji lenses instead of Zeiss. Fuji stopped making 135 format lenses when they stopped making 135 format cameras.

Fuji is and long has been a highly respected optical shop. My EBC Fujinons for the ST series were excellent, though I have heard that the 24mm, which I did not have, was nothing special. Resolution, definition and contrast stand up just fine to the other makers' lenses of the period, including the Nikkors I later used extensively, and their color rendition is still my favorite.
The first EBC Fujinon lenses were the same optically as the Fujinons of the same focal length and f/stop, except that they were multicoated-- just as Pentax's Super-Multicoated Takumars were the same as the Auto-Takumars.
Do a search for some images from Fujinon and EBC Fujinon lenses. Flickr is a good place to start, but there are others as well. Even on a monitor, the fine definition, contrast and color are clearly evident.

As for the ST701 being like looking through an ice cube- ridiculous.
Fujica ST cameras had large, bright, clear viewfinders. Maybe you looked through one that been dropped or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtO

Shooter
Multi Format
It's a beautiful camera. I hope that you enjoy it for many many years. Post a few pics when you get a chance.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Enjoy!!

The Stone

Shooter
Multi Format
Nice! Can you tell us a little about how it works?
Does it have a light meter? I have a 6x9 which btw has a bloody FANTASTIC lens, but the only problem with it is that there is no light meter. How do you think it goes against the Mamiya 7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles Wass

Shooter
Multi Format
Tom and Ixdude

Fujifilm have for a very long time been one of the two leading manufacturers (along with Canon) of lenses for broadcast television cameras.

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
Tom,

I don't see how you can speak with credibility on Fujinon lenses, if you don't even possess the very common knowledge of where they have been, and are, being used. Fuji has long known how to make lenses. They built the first computer in Japan, the FUJIC, in 1956, just for optical design. Fuji has for many years made highly regarded medium format cameras and lenses in 645, 6X7, 6X8, 6X9, and 6X17 formats; they have long made an extensive line of large format lenses which are very well respected; Hasselblad now uses Fuji lenses instead of Zeiss. Fuji stopped making 135 format lenses when they stopped making 135 format cameras.

Fuji is and long has been a highly respected optical shop. My EBC Fujinons for the ST series were excellent, though I have heard that the 24mm, which I did not have, was nothing special. Resolution, definition and contrast stand up just fine to the other makers' lenses of the period, including the Nikkors I later used extensively, and their color rendition is still my favorite.
The first EBC Fujinon lenses were the same optically as the Fujinons of the same focal length and f/stop, except that they were multicoated-- just as Pentax's Super-Multicoated Takumars were the same as the Auto-Takumars.
Do a search for some images from Fujinon and EBC Fujinon lenses. Flickr is a good place to start, but there are others as well. Even on a monitor, the fine definition, contrast and color are clearly evident.

Fujica ST cameras had large, bright, clear viewfinders. Maybe you looked through one that been dropped or something.

I've used 35mm, medium format, large format and even Fujinon enlarging lenses and never had any complaints at all. Still have four 35mm lenses and one 210mm large format lens and plan on keeping them. Might find a bad one that's a slim shot. JohnW

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
Tom,

Could be. But in those days I was a Pentax and Takumar fan.

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format

fotch

Shooter
Multi Format
That's great. Almost for a minute made me want one. Except for the remembrance of how absolutely terrible Fujica lenses were in the early 70's. A Fujica ST701 was like looking through an ice cube. Are they any better now? (I haven't kept up to speed on that brand).

Was this a camera you owned? Purchased New? Or a used camera? Never heard this before, they may have not been the best but the worst? That is a surprise.

OP
OP
RattyMouse

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
Nice! Can you tell us a little about how it works?
Does it have a light meter? I have a 6x9 which btw has a bloody FANTASTIC lens, but the only problem with it is that there is no light meter. How do you think it goes against the Mamiya 7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It works incredibly well. Yes, this camera has a light meter. Unlike the GSW690, which I also used to own, the shutter for the GF670W is absolutely SILENT. It is so quiet you cannot, repeat, CANNOT hear it if there is any background noise at all. Fujifilm put an LED up by the viewfinder that flashes when you open the shutter, just so that you know you took the picture! I was in a Zen temple yesterday that had ME and one lady praying. I took a shot of the altar while she was in meditation and I could barely hear the shutter.

The manual for this camera is 100% in Japanese, so I don't know how to operate it fully. But so far, it works just like any regular film camera. It's a joy to shoot with and feels so wonderful in hand.

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
Was this a camera you owned? Purchased New? Or a used camera? Never heard this before, they may have not been the best but the worst? That is a surprise.

Fotch--a buddy got one for Christmas in 1972, and I remember another one when I worked in a camera store in '74. All I remember was my Pentax Spotmatic F at the time was a lot clearer to look through. So as you can tell, I'm hardly a Fujica expert. To their credit, a Toyota Corona in 1972 was a tin can piece of junk. I'd hardly say that about a new Camry now.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Now I'm wondering whether Tom1956 and Umut are relatives.

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
Tom and Ixdude

Fujifilm have for a very long time been one of the two leading manufacturers (along with Canon) of lenses for broadcast television cameras.
They have been making TV lenses for 50 years, as a matter of fact.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom