Hurricane Alyssa, Photographer. (A 5-year-old's first pics)

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by pbromaghin, Nov 22, 2018.

1. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last summer, Photrions and Apuggers helped me pick a first camera for my 5-year-old Granddaughter, Hurricane Alyssa. (this thread: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/camera-for-a-5-yr-old.160418/ ) The results helped me get three birds stoned at once - A camera for my granddaughter, a birthday present for my wife, and something fun for Hurricane Alyssa and Grandma Mary to do together. Pentaxuser asked that I post the results. After much delay, here is how a 5-year-old sees the world through a camera:

Sunset
    fuji871.jpg

Clouds
    fuji876.jpg

Mom and Gramma
    fuji872.jpg

Mom
    fuji873.jpg

Gramma Mary
    fuji874.jpg

Grampa Peter
    fuji875.jpg

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, they look pretty good to me. Like a colour version of the high contrast b&w shots that Bill Brandt took of domestic scenes in the 1930s

Now the future: In the first couple of years your posts will start: "I need advice on how we improve a couple of my grand-daughters shots". Then it will be her posts: " I need advice of how we improve a couple of my grand-dad's shots" :D

As the saying goes, your days may be numbered as the lead photographer :D

pentaxuser

3. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, sir, for your part in helping me decide. I forgot to add that I bought 2 pink Instax Minnies, one for Hurricane Alyssa and one for Gramma Mary. It was a lot of fun for everybody. After she and Mom went home, Dad bought some B&W Instax film and he was going to "borrow" the camera.

I love how her view of the sunset was unencumbered by the tomato plant and deck railing.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am a little surprised that no-one else has commented. One of the great things about being 5 is that you are completely unaffected by comments or lack of, on a forum. Nevertheless it has to help when you can explain to the 5 yr old that other people have seen her pictures and have made nice comments. At that age especially, kids need encouragement.

Actually I think we all need such encouragement; it is just that we disguise the need as we grow older.

pentaxuser

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The nice thing about making photos when you're a kid is that you'll photograph just about anything that is of interest to you - none of that contemplation and decision making about the photo that happens in adulthood. As a consequence, those kid-produced photos when seen 20 or more years in the future are truly priceless and capture many things that would otherwise never be captured. You are wise for buying this camera for your granddaughter.

Also, I love the (a+b) n t-shirt.

6. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha. My wife is a bit of a math nerd. She thanks you.

7. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite shot of the whole series!

A five-year-old’s complete lack of self-consciousness lends a kind of honesty to everything they do that adults are just not capable of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.