Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenshi Daito
Recent bookmarks

Steve@f8

Shooter
35mm
Lomo LC-Wide provides multiple exposure opportunities, I know that. But the thing I can’t work out is why each individual part of the overall scene isn’t corrupted by parts of what’s been taken previously. (Hope you understand my question.)
Anyone like to say how it’s done and could the same effect be achieved with the Lomo SprocketRocket?
Thanks.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Based on what I see in the photos at the link, I suspect this was done with a combination of multiple exposure and a partial-frame mask in front of the lens, dividing the frame into four roughly equal parts.

You'd mount the mask with the opening in position one, expose, cock shutter, move mask opening to position two, expose, etc. until you've exposed all the positions your mask leaves open once each, then advance film. This is akin to the "black card" technique for making someone into twins that was published by Kodak as long ago as the 1940s (and used in film-making before 1925). Because the mask is out of focus, the edge between different exposures will be very soft, and if the mask edge is perfectly aligned from one exposure to the next, there won't be any actual overlap. If it's not, there will be.

OP
OP

Steve@f8

Shooter
35mm
Thank you, that makes sense.
A while back I tried making double exposures using a Cokin splitzer on my FM3a. The results were mostly unremarkable, likely because I was trying to be too accurate with the split being half way, ending up with a clear unexposed portion of film in the middle. I’ve got about 10 frames to fire off on another film so I’ll try the spritzer again but this time allowing exposure overlap to prevent the unexposed band in the middle. Doing it 4 times will be a challenge on the Sprocket Rocket!

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've seen this done with a lens cap cut out over half the lens; that allows making the frame split on an angle, if desired, but makes it a bit harder to get the cap on the exact clock position for the second exposure...

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom